Page 1 of 1

Aquaclear 110 wont suck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:09 pm
by byron
It was working before last time I emptied the tank. After I put all the water back in it would only suck halfway up the intake tube. So I washed off the motor and now it doesnt suck at all, it just makes a loud grinding sound. How should I fix this? (I just got it last week!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:57 am
by jozzep
You are supposed to prime the filter by filling it with water before you turn it on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:52 pm
by freshprince2146
I have had the same problem with the aqua clear. Like jozzep said fill it with water. Also get a pen or some thin object and give the propeller a tap while it is turned on. That should get the propeller and the filter working again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:35 pm
by marisa
Also make sure that there isn't any exposed place where air could be getting in the tube. I have an extension on my Aquaclear 500 tubing that isn't air tight. If the water drops below a certain level, the filter will behave just as you're describing.

After water changes, even with the filter primed (filled with water) I sometimes have to fiddle with the flow adjuster level to coax it to take up the water.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 am
by Diamondbacks4Life
Yea, it sounda like air getting sucked in from a connecting place. This is why i use aquarium sealer and seal all connecting area. It makes power filter work in really low amounts of water.