Page 1 of 4

200 gallon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 am
by drillr00
Bought a 200 gallon aquarium as a present for my turtles :D I found it on craigslist for a good deal but the bottom was cracked....so I took it apart and resealed the whole thing. This is the first time I've actually done this so I hope it doesn't bust open because 200 gallons is a lot of water to be on my floor :lol This tank should hold off my turtles for a little while till I can make a pond for them.

Tank came with 2 fluval 403 filters too.

Image

Built a stand for it. It's built using 2x6 and 2x4s. I'm going to encase the whole thing in a sheet of 1/2 inch oak plywood, stain it, then add some doors and molding.
Image

Latex coat on it
Image


Overall dimensions are 7ftx2ftx2ft final approximate weight is around 2000lbs
Image

Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:01 am
by SliderGirl
Wow! That's an awesome tank. Your turtles will kiss you for this!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:10 am
by jay2487
That is awesome, wish I had one that size

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:06 pm
by freshprince2146
wow that tank is a monster :D!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 pm
by rturtle1
i wish i got onw of these instead of my 75 gallon. im gunna save up for a stock tank now though. nice tank!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 pm
by BullDog
Very nice! And congrats on taking on the re-sealing! Looks like it was a big project! Your turts will love it! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:14 pm
by bradmeisel
wow. I love your stand and the tank is nothing less than an awesome monster. You have some lucky turtles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:21 pm
by drillr00
Thanks for all the replies. It took a week just to clean up the glass to a point where I could assemble it. I think everyone on this forum goes to great extent to make our turtles happy haha.

I'll take some pictures once I'm done with the stand and have the whole tank setup.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:12 am
by gwennie
Wow - awesome job! Can't wait to see the final outcome of this - I hope the resealing goes well, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:37 am
by drillr00
I've been using a lot of information from monsterfishkeepers.com about resealing this size of an aquarium and so I may end up letting it sit and cure for a month before I attempt to test fill it.

Just as reference for people thinking about resealing/building an aquarium:

I'm using GE RTV 108 silicone which is the construction version of GE silicone I. For tanks under 100 gallons GE silicone I seems to be fine and you can buy it at any lowes or home depot. I had to purchase GE RTV 108 at Grainger.

Tensile strength of GE I is 260 psi
Tensile strength of GE RTV 108 is 400 psi

It seems SeaWorld uses GE (SCS-2000 SIL-PRUF) rated at 340 psi but I'm sure they're using a lot more braces and supports for Shamu's tank than I'll be using for mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:15 pm
by steve
Looks awesome. What's the thickness of the glass? What do you plan for the top and bottom braces?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:39 am
by drillr00
The aquarium is 1/2 inch all the way around. I reassembled the aquarium the way I found it. It has a 1/2 inch thick top brace in the middle that is 26 inches long. From the glass calculator and what I've seen, I think this should be sufficient.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 pm
by drillr00
Well it's been awhile so I thought I might update this thread. I had to stop the building process for a few months because I went away for school but I'm almost done.

Before I left to school though, I filled up the tank in the garage and held water until I emptied it a month later.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:15 pm
by drillr00
First coat stain: Image

Image

Second coat:
Image

Acrylic windows
Image

Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:17 pm
by drillr00
This is after I put two coats of polyurethane on
Image

Image

Image

Image