Habitat - Indoor :: 200 gallon

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 am   200 gallon

Bought a 200 gallon aquarium as a present for my turtles :D I found it on craigslist for a good deal but the bottom was cracked....so I took it apart and resealed the whole thing. This is the first time I've actually done this so I hope it doesn't bust open because 200 gallons is a lot of water to be on my floor :lol This tank should hold off my turtles for a little while till I can make a pond for them.

Tank came with 2 fluval 403 filters too.

Image

Built a stand for it. It's built using 2x6 and 2x4s. I'm going to encase the whole thing in a sheet of 1/2 inch oak plywood, stain it, then add some doors and molding.
Image

Latex coat on it
Image


Overall dimensions are 7ftx2ftx2ft final approximate weight is around 2000lbs
Image

Image
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:01 am   

Wow! That's an awesome tank. Your turtles will kiss you for this!
1 RES - Splat, born 10/06, now queen of the laundry room
SliderGirl
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Nov 25, 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:10 am   

That is awesome, wish I had one that size
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:06 pm   

wow that tank is a monster :D!!!
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 pm   

i wish i got onw of these instead of my 75 gallon. im gunna save up for a stock tank now though. nice tank!
3 Res Raphaiel, Crash, Neya
rturtle1
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 5, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 pm   

Very nice! And congrats on taking on the re-sealing! Looks like it was a big project! Your turts will love it! :D
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:14 pm   

wow. I love your stand and the tank is nothing less than an awesome monster. You have some lucky turtles.
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
User avatar
bradmeisel
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Nov 2, 2008
Location: Flushing, New York

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:21 pm   

Thanks for all the replies. It took a week just to clean up the glass to a point where I could assemble it. I think everyone on this forum goes to great extent to make our turtles happy haha.

I'll take some pictures once I'm done with the stand and have the whole tank setup.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:12 am   

Wow - awesome job! Can't wait to see the final outcome of this - I hope the resealing goes well, too.
User avatar
gwennie
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: Aotearoa

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:37 am   

I've been using a lot of information from monsterfishkeepers.com about resealing this size of an aquarium and so I may end up letting it sit and cure for a month before I attempt to test fill it.

Just as reference for people thinking about resealing/building an aquarium:

I'm using GE RTV 108 silicone which is the construction version of GE silicone I. For tanks under 100 gallons GE silicone I seems to be fine and you can buy it at any lowes or home depot. I had to purchase GE RTV 108 at Grainger.

Tensile strength of GE I is 260 psi
Tensile strength of GE RTV 108 is 400 psi

It seems SeaWorld uses GE (SCS-2000 SIL-PRUF) rated at 340 psi but I'm sure they're using a lot more braces and supports for Shamu's tank than I'll be using for mine.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:15 pm   

Looks awesome. What's the thickness of the glass? What do you plan for the top and bottom braces?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:39 am   

The aquarium is 1/2 inch all the way around. I reassembled the aquarium the way I found it. It has a 1/2 inch thick top brace in the middle that is 26 inches long. From the glass calculator and what I've seen, I think this should be sufficient.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 pm   

Well it's been awhile so I thought I might update this thread. I had to stop the building process for a few months because I went away for school but I'm almost done.

Before I left to school though, I filled up the tank in the garage and held water until I emptied it a month later.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:15 pm   

First coat stain: Image

Image

Second coat:
Image

Acrylic windows
Image

Image
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:17 pm   

This is after I put two coats of polyurethane on
Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by drillr00 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests