Habitat - Indoor :: Algae Problem!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:48 am   Algae Problem!

Hi all,

My current tank setup is a 20 gallon with a lid on top and I've got my UVB and basking light. I'm using a Magnum 250 canister filter that hangs on the side at the back center of my tank. The problem is I have a lot of algae build up on the right side of the tank where the basking area is. I find this very strange and I don't want any algae growing on my RES.

What should I do?
KoopaTroopa
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 26, 2009
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:56 am   

Algae grows where there's light. If your tank is near a window it makes things a lot worse, but even the light from the basking lamps makes algae grow. The part of my basking area that is in the water is completely green, and although I scrub it off often it always comes back in a few days.

So as I said, as long as there's a light source shining directly on the tank, algae will form, there's not much you can do about it but clean it off. The 'good' part about it is that it's not harmful for your turtle, and the only problem it creates is bad aesthetics.

If you worry about algae growing on your RES, there's a very slim chance this could happen. Even if algae starts to grow on the turtle, when the turtle goes out to bask the algae would most likely die and just come off when the turtle goes back in the water. And I think it would have to live in a tank completely green with algae for the algae to start growing on him.
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:15 pm   

I use Algaeclear. It works really good, isn't harmful to turtles or fish and keep all types of algae from growing. If you have live plants it will somewhat restrict the growth in my experience but it won't kill them.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:31 pm   

The algae doesn't hurt your turtle. The only thing it does is look nasty. If it bothers you, they sell stuff to get rid of the algae, like Algaeclear mentioned above.
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:04 pm   

Thanks for all your input!
I guess I've seen an increase in algae because I haven't been cleaning my tank as much as before.
How much did you buy Algaeclear and where?

Thanks again everyone!
KoopaTroopa
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 26, 2009
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:28 am   

Walmart for like $5.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:04 am   

Thanks jay2487!
KoopaTroopa
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 26, 2009
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests