Habitat - Indoor :: Filter Problems

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:20 pm   Filter Problems

Hey. I got an XP3 a week or two ago. It was running really good, but today the flow was very weak. I figured the problem must have been I did not cut the hoses. I did that and things got better, but only for an hour. It's back to a weak flow and I have no idea why. I looked inside the canister and it's really not dirty and the hoses are clear. There's no leaks either. The top of the filter sits about a foot below the tank, and about 2.5 or 3 below the top water level. Also, I'm using the media it came with and the spray bar.

Any ideas?
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:34 pm   

The only thing I can think of now is that too much air is getting into the canister. Once the filter is primed and working, it shouldn't gradually weaken due to hose length.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:50 pm   

Well I came home and the flow is even weaker. I'm at a loss because it was working perfect and performance diminished over night.

There's no leaks, the hose is now just slightly longer than it should be, and the media isn't clogged (I've only had it maybe 2 weeks tops).

The hoses are only on a little more than 1.5" instead of the 2" but I don't see why that would matter if it's not leaking. Do you think air is getting into the canister some how? Any suggestions?

This is my first canister and I'm clueless so don't overlook the obvious.

I'll take some pictures of the setup incase something looks like it could be troublesome.

I do have one idea...I have sand in my tank. It is about 3 or 4 inches from the bottom of the intake but I don't believe it's getting sucked up at all because there's none missing underneath the intake nor does the overall level seem lower. However, if this was the case, how would I get it out of the filter?
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:55 am   

Air could get in through the intake and collect in the canister or the O-ring seal might need some lube. However, I've had the XP3 for 3 or 4 years and neither of that has happened before. Occasionally the motor case might not be seated properly after cleaning but issues would start right away instead of a gradual change.

Sounds like everything is connected correctly, so I would turn the filter off, re-prime it and see how it goes.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:41 am   

I'm going to take it apart and check out the media. If the filter runs fine with no media in it, I suppose that is the problem. It could be that fine sponge on the bottom, but if it's still bad this is going to be tricky.

To re prime you just turn the filter off, use the quick disconnect, and then push it back down and wait 2 minutes and plug it back in? When I do this I see some bubbles in the hose, but they seemingly disappear when I turn it on (work their way out).
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:54 pm   

Well, I think I fixed it.

I took apart the filter and took the baskets out and took the canister outside. The water in it was brown and there was a decent chunk of sand and gunk on the bottom of it. I cleaned this out. I then checked out the baskets and there was a little bit of sand on the top of the top one, I decided to check out the actual media and found the floss pad was nearly black. The fine sponges in the bottom basket were also in pretty bad shape. I suspect this was the problem as running the filter without the baskets appeared normal. I cleaned everything out and replaced set it back up. I also took off a tube on the intake so it's not as close to the bottom and moved the spray bar down a little bit. I didn't think after only a couple of weeks it would be so dirty, but I suppose I know why. While waiting for a deal on the filter and then waiting for it to ship to me, the tank got pretty dirty. I mean you couldn't see through it. I changed the water but I only had two AquaClear 50s on this 40G tank. The XP3 made the tank clear in a few hours and then crystal after a few days. I know the tank is too small, but that's why I got the filter that's rated for 4.5x bigger than the tank, so when I upgrade all I need is the tank, stand, and heater.

Now some questions. The media for the filter includes only a few of those bio stars (I think that's what they are called, the black things). It also shows having two layers of them in the middle basket and then some in the top basket. Why spread them in several layers? Would it be better to get more than the 15 or so it comes with? Exactly what media do you use? They don't sell it in the store hear so I think I'd have to order the sponges online, but should be able to use any carbon and biomax that will fit. Also, the spray bar seems to get weaker towards the far end. Is this typical? It's not a huge difference, but I'm a little obsessive.

Thanks.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:45 pm   

The black things are most likely called bioballs, to my knowledge.

What I have in my DIY canister filter are only floss and bioballs. After the floss,
I put as much bioballs I can fit in the canister. I'm not sure the effect of spreading
the biomedia in different places.

Carbon is mainly to reduce smell. I don't use it anymore because it doesn't have
much effect in my tank.

As for the water flow gets weaker towards the far end of the spray bar, that's what
it's supposed to do according to physics. The water pressure diminishes towards
the end of the spray bar because water already comes out little by little from
the start of the bar. I think that's how it works. :)
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 am   

I figured as much regarding the flow...As for carbon, it also helps with ammonia and water clarity, I believe. I always used the white "carbon" which I think they sell mixed with black carbon now a days.

What exactly to the bio balls do? The floss pad to me seems useless. It dirties up so fast and is really thin. The coarse sponges are also sketchy. They may provide mechanical filtration, though I'd assume it's more of a bacteria farm.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:34 am   

Bio balls provide surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize. Most people don't use very fine pads, including the one included.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 98 guests