Habitat - Indoor :: Basking set-up ideas? Please

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:59 pm   Basking set-up ideas? Please

Hi!
I'm new so I need a little help. I have a 3 inch red eared slider and her tank is all setup(tank, submersible heater, powersun UVB, Fluval4 filter, cuttle bone). I need some ideas for basking strutures. Orginally I used on big rock that comes out of the water - she wouldn't get on it. Then I stacked some small rocks on top of each other. That she will put her front legs on but not get out of the water. I've 'sneaked' and watch her so i know that she isn't jumping off when I come in the room. I've had her over a month and in that time she hasn't basked once. Of course she was a 'neglected' turtle when I got her. Tiny plastic tank, no heater, no basking or UVB, etc. The water is 78, the basking spot is 90ish (varies slightly with room temp). I thought about trying the commerial basking products - Zoomed Turtle Log or Turtle dock. Do you think one of these would be better? Is there a better basking that I could create. I worry that she isn't getting enough UVB, and certainly her shell never dries out (so I worry about shell rott). Please let me know if you have any advise.
Oh and one more thing - she will only eat commerial food. With time, will she eventually eat some veggies or is she too old for a diet change? Also I was told she is 3 years old and she is 3 inches - is that about the right size?
lisa7
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 9, 2009
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:09 pm   

Personally, I'd go for the Zoo Med Turtle Dock. I've been using them for years. I've had to replace a couple but they're pretty sturdy. These docks are good because they don't take up any of the swimming area and they can hold a good amount of weight. They're not that great for adult turtles tho.

If you're the creative type you could try to build something similar to the commercial products to save money.

3 inches is pretty small for a 3yo. If you start offering veggies she will eventually figure out that it's food. I've had some turtles that would chomp on veggies right away, and others that have taken a few weeks.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:29 pm   

A turtle dock is a great option for "little turtles".Once they grow there is no commercial option.You will need to build.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:05 am   

My turtle is 3 yrs old - 6 inches. I'm in the process of building an above tank basking area (there's a picture posted in the "indoor" section). I bought some thin wood, screws and made a box that will sit on top of my tank. The hardest part was cutting the sections because I don't have any power tools. But home depot can do that for you in seconds.

About the veggies - when I got my turtle, it would only eat pellets... but I started offering other options and leaving him alone... he eventually started eating. If that's their only option, they get hungry and eat.

Good luck!
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 131 guests