Habitat - Indoor :: plant question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 am   plant question

I have 2 hatchlings now. Anubis is 1.25 inches an Amun is just shy of an inch. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that they will share once the quarentine period is over.
My question is should I have just a few live plants or should I have a bunch. I know Anubis loves hiding in them. And both being hatchlings and both being painted they like hiding in the plants. But I don't want to overcrowd them.
2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Jun 7, 2009

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:47 am   

It's really up to you. On one hand plants are nutritious, fun to play in for the turtles, and they look nice. On the other hand, they can clog filters, get gobbled up quickly as the turtles grow, and can be difficult to care for in a smaller tank.

Just put a little thought into which way you'd like to go because it's up to you. I do recommend plants like anacharis and water lettuce, though.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:17 pm   

I would start with a few, see how they do with them. If they end up eating them all, you may only want to add a few at a time. If you find they leave them alone, you can add as many as you want (provided they can still swim, of course :lol:)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:36 am   

My tank is chockfull o plants. Turtle alternatively ignores them and shreds them to pieces...the shredded hornwort fills up my filter bag rather quickly.
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests