Habitat - Indoor :: Looking to introduce plants and fish to my tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:15 am   Looking to introduce plants and fish to my tank

I've been tossing around the idea of adding live water plants and some feeder fish into the tank with my two RES. Any advice? Is there anything special I need to do for the plants? Any special type of fish?

Thanks in advance!
Love Turtles. Not War

RES- Abraham
Theodore
User avatar
Phantombaldspot
 
Posts: 16
Joined: May 14, 2009
Location: Fort Wayne, IN

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:35 am   

My advise: Don't start with expensive plants or fish. Most RES love to tear into aquatic plants, and fish too! Stay away from goldfish, they're messy and fatty. Minnows or guppies are a good choice.
Many people recommend anacharis for a plant, I understand it grows fast. In the summer, I get water hyacinth and water lettuce. Frankie tears into either plant with enthusiasm. I've found this year Ralph is pretty much leaving it alone.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:17 am   

Duckweed is really, really easy to grow. All you really need is the seeds and a bowl of water. Just make sure you cut off the roots before they go in the tank. The roots make a huge mess.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:14 pm   

theartbook35 wrote:Duckweed is really, really easy to grow. All you really need is the seeds and a bowl of water. Just make sure you cut off the roots before they go in the tank. The roots make a huge mess.

If they're grown for the purpose of feeding the turtles, doesn't that seem a little inadequate? Plants grown in regular water won't have much nutritional content, right?
454Casull
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mar 30, 2010
Location: Markham, ON

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:46 pm   

Don't go with anacharis as a first plant. They are very messy when turtles rip their leaves off, took me forever to clean the leaves out of my old tank. Water plants need light in order to grow so letting them sit under your turtle's basking light is generally a good idea.
I don't like anacharis because I only had 9 branches in my tank and my turtles just destroyed the leaves and it was messy all over. Good thing I had some plecos that ate about 25% of the leaves.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:51 pm   

I usually always have a few rosy red minnows in my tank if Bentley is hungry. He goes after minnows more than guppies. I'm going to have to disagree with you all on the anacharis. I think it depends on the turtle on how messy the plant gets. Bentley loves anacharis plants. I don't grow plants in my tank (bare bottom) but when I buy anacharis, I just clip it to his veggie clip and it's eaten neatly in the next day or so. If a few stray branches drift away, my filter takes care of it, the fish eat it, or Bentley goes after it.
~Bently11~
1 RES turtle Bentley
RIP George the RES
1 Bearded Dragon Duke
1 African Clawed frog Whizz
1 Havanese dog Buddy
bently11
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Apr 19, 2008


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests