Habitat - Indoor :: Filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:28 pm   Filter

Hi. I'm currently using 2 Aqua Clear 50 filters on a 40 gallon tank....it keeps the water clean but the filter is a disaster after 2 weeks. I would like to get a canister filter, but don't know what to get.

At this time next year, I hope to have a 90 gallon tank, (money probably won't be the issue, it will be space), and ifI do get it, I'd like to use this filter on that tank.

I was considering the Penn Plax Cascade 1500, which claims it is rated for up to 200 gallon tanks.

This is in comparison to the XP3, which is rated for 175 gallon tanks. The XP4 isn't an option due to the cost and the fact that it would likely be overkill on the 40, and my local stores don't sell the media for it.

Please advise.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:08 pm   

I have a cascade 1500.....
Works great on my 75 gallon.I don't use the spray bar since i find the direct output more practical.
Just a pointer, when they say what a filter is rated for, they mean for "fish keeping" and not turtles.Turtles are much messier.You need to buy one at least 3 times bigger than the size of the tank.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:31 pm   

For the 90 gallon, I'd recommend a Fluval FX5. That's what I use in my 90 and 75 gallon tanks. I used a Fluval 404 in my 75g for a while, and it did a pretty good job, but when I upgraded to the FX5, the tank just looks so much better.

Do you have one or two turtles in your tank? That's something to take into consideration too, since an XP3 might be alright in a 90 with 1 turtle, but with 2 or more it'd have a hard time keeping up.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:42 pm   

I have two turtles. I know the 1500 is rated for 200 gallons, which is 5x more than the 40 gallon tank. That should be fine, I would assume.

It looks like next year when I get a new tank, I'll need a new filter anyway, so i guess the Cascade 1500 should be more than enough until I get something bigger, and then I'd probably get that FX5. Right now though, it is too expensive and too much for this tank.

I could always just give it to my brother for his 46 gallon bow front next year if I get a new filter. He has a Cascade but it is much smaller and keeps up, but he uses a hang on since his cichlids are so dirty.

Thanks.

Edit: Does anyone know anything about Eheim filters? I remember them being very pricey, but worth the cost...

Also, since I'm probably only going to use this filter on a 40 gallon tank, would the 1200 model (rated for up to 150 gallon tanks) be sufficient? It's 20 dollars cheaper and the media is less expensive.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:05 pm   

adam85491 wrote:
Edit: Does anyone know anything about Eheim filters? I remember them being very pricey, but worth the cost...

They're great all around filters....
adam85491 wrote:Also, since I'm probably only going to use this filter on a 40 gallon tank, would the 1200 model (rated for up to 150 gallon tanks) be sufficient? It's 20 dollars cheaper and the media is less expensive.

I'm sure it would be fine if you're not planning on recycling it on a bigger tank.
I don't buy cascade media....I just have the sponges that get reused after every cleaning, and use bulk bag filter floss.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 pm   

On media, you don't have to buy Eheim media for Eheim filters. You can use any brand of media in any brand of filter. Buy whatever will work out the cheapest. I recently switched from Fluval brand carbon to loose carbon (currently using marineland carbon), since it worked out about 1/4 of the price!
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:38 pm   

I've looked into it and it is either the XP3 or the Cascade 1500...can anyone provide insight between the two and perhaps a link to buy it? My local pet store wants like 200 bucks for a cascade 1200...no way.

Also, i have a 40 gallon breeder...it's only about 17" high. I also have sand on the bottom, and my current hang on filters don't come close to the bottom, but I think a canister would. Would that be a problem?
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:20 am   

http://www.petmountain.com/category/178/1/aquarium-canister-filters.html

That's the best price I've found.

The XP3 is keeping my 40gal breeder crystal clear and odor free. The inlet pipe and outlet are adjustable in length, so you can have the inlet as close or far away from the bottom as you want. That way you don't suck up sand. I am sure that all the reputable canisters are probably this way.
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jul 3, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:34 am   

Thank you for that link, it is much lower than anything I have found.

So for about the same price I can get the Cascade 1500, just want to know which is better...anyone with experience with these filters want to chime in?

I just read some great reviews for the XP filters...just wondering what you guys use for media?
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:54 am   

I can only speak for the XP3. Hopefully a Cascade owner chimes in for ya, so you can compare to what I said.

When deciding, I went with price vs. GPH, and read the reviews. Another thing to consider is price for replacing media. That could add up over time if one is more than the other. I forgot to look into that before buying mine. I just now thought of it. (oops)

I don't know how much bio media comes with the Cascade, but the XP3 only came with a little bit, so I had to buy some more.
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jul 3, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:08 am   

I'm looking at just getting the XP4, since I can get it for 175 shipped on Ebay. Do you think that would be overkill for a 40 gallon? It would be better since I could just use it when I get a larger tank.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 am   

I know that at 350gph, with the spraybar, the current isn't too strong, but My turtle is 5.5inches long. He got used to in within a day.

If you have a really little guy, he could still get thrown for a loop, in which case I'd try to make it so he couldn't swim directly into the water spray.
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jul 3, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:39 pm   

They aren't too small, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me roughly how long the intake is, my tank is only 17" high, so if it is longer than that I don't know how well that would work....
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:46 pm   

The intake on mine is in 3 inch sections so you can shorten or lengthen it. My tank is about the same height as yours and the bottom of the strainer is a little over an inch from the very bottom.
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jul 3, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:06 pm   

Oh, it has attachments? My aquaclear is like that, but I choose not to have it reach the bottom because of the sand. So is 16" the shortest possible length or is there shorter?
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 78 guests