Habitat - Indoor :: exo terra repti glo 26w 10.0 uvb compact

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:53 pm   exo terra repti glo 26w 10.0 uvb compact

i went to 2 stores today and they only had repti glo 26 10.0 uvb compact. is the limit for uvb bulbs 26w or does it go higher?
Last edited by wartortle on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wartortle
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 9, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:13 pm   

i forgot to mention its the desert terrarium lamp & not the tropical.
wartortle
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 9, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:29 pm   

That'll work, though most members recommend the 5.0 uvb.
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:36 pm   

The 26W is usually the one that's recommended. I don't think they come any higher, but they do come smaller.
The 10.0 may be a bit strong. Just make sure it's at least 12" away from the basking area and make sure you don't notice any eye swelling.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:59 pm   

thanks for the help guys. i might go back to the store and exchange it for the 5.0(if they have any in stock).

sorry for the noob question but how can i tell if my turtles eyes are swelled?
wartortle
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 9, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:13 pm   

When they're swollen, they will look like they are squinting or they can't open their eyes.

A couple of years ago, there were problems with some UVB CFLs emitting much too high UVB, and many reptiles got swollen eyes.
There's a picture of a RES from this forum who was affected here:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:15 pm   

I would say don't use the 10.0. I just bought one, and the eye problem started in about a week for Sparky. I removed it, and he's fine again, but they have not "fixed" the problem in my recent experience.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:29 pm   

i returned the 10.0 and got a 5.0

success!

thanks for the tips
wartortle
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 9, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:06 pm   

do i have to burn in the bulb? if so, how many hours? thanks
wartortle
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 9, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:05 pm   

I've never burnt in the bulb, and I don't think too many turtle owners do it. I could be the odd one out though.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 pm   

Yeah, I don't think you need to worry about burning it in. I've never noticed any problems with the 5.0 causing eye irritation, even a brand new one.
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:11 am   

thanks guys thanks for the help, i'll put up the uvb soon :D
wartortle
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 9, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:47 am   

BullDog wrote:The 26W is usually the one that's recommended. I don't think they come any higher, but they do come smaller.
The 10.0 may be a bit strong. Just make sure it's at least 12" away from the basking area and make sure you don't notice any eye swelling.


I was getting ready to mention that.

5.0 works just fine.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:07 pm   

I think i'm just lucky then I've used a 10.0. because for some reason they're cheaper than 5.0's at my Petsmart, i've used 10.0's ever since i got my turtle and he's never had irritation but maybe that's just me.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests