Habitat - Indoor :: Fluval FX5 925gph vs. UTC-3400 581gph with UV Sterilizer...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:20 am   Fluval FX5 925gph vs. UTC-3400 581gph with UV Sterilizer...

Ok, price wise the UTC-3400 is the smarter choice since it's about $100 cheaper but price tags aside which one do you guys think I should get ?

I've had this debate once before but want some fresh opinions on it. GPH wise both filters are an excellent choice for the 84g - 112g tank I wana get for Nikos permanent home. However, the UTC-3400 offers something the FX5 doesnt which is a built in UV Sterilzer. Anyway, I really like both but am kinda leaning towards the UTC because of the UV Sterilizer and the obvious and cheaper price tag on it but I want whats going to be best for Nikos permanent tank. I know you guys always say the more GPH the better but there is such a thing as overkill... even with a turtle tank heh.

But ya, what do you guys think and why ?
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 pm   

The UV sterilizer may be nice, but I don't have an experience with the UTC filter. I own an FX5 and I love it. The filter media is completely customizable, there's more than enough space, and output is just what I need for the turtle tank.

Mechanical filtration in a turtle tank is as, if not more, important than chemical and biological filtration, so the huge surface area of filter media does me well.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:53 pm   

I don't know much about the UTC either. I know it's come up before whether a UV sterilizer would be beneficial or not. What are the benefits of a UV sterilizer?

I've got two FX5s (for a 75 g and 90 g), and I love them. I wouldn't trade them for anything. They've got some nice features, like self-priming, and purging any air bubbles every 24 hours. But I think my favourite feature is that you can drain the tank using the filter. It can drain about 40-50% of my 90 gallon in 2 minutes.

Price wise, you can get a new FX5 from ebay for about the same price as the UTC you posted ($220-250), and some even have free shipping.

So if they're running about the same price, I suppose the biggest decision is if the UV sterilizer will be useful to you.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:44 pm   

The FX5 does not get 925GPH when running with media and actually on a tank. 925gph is under ideal factory conditions with nothing effecting its flow. When an FX5 is running on a tank, the actual GPH is more like 625gph.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:49 pm   

Chrisbarnett wrote:The FX5 does not get 925GPH when running with media and actually on a tank. 925gph is under ideal factory conditions with nothing effecting its flow. When an FX5 is running on a tank, the actual GPH is more like 625gph.
Interesting, as for what a UV sterilizer does it's supposed to help with algae growth. How much I'm not sure but hey it still seems nice.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:02 pm   

i would go with the FX5. havent had any problems with mine and fluval is a reputable brand. both filters are going to have a slower gph when the media is in it.

a uv sterilizer wont kill any algae thats growing on something but it does kill algae blooms (green water) if you have that. they also kill parasites and bacteria. you can always get a UV sterilizer thats separate from the filter if you really need one.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests