Habitat - Indoor :: good filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:27 pm   good filter

what is the best "bang for your buck" filter, i have a 50 gallon tank and was thinking about upgrading the filter, but money is very tight these days
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:56 pm   

i would go for a xp3. but there 170 something dollars. so how much do you wanna spend?
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:59 pm   

A few months ago, you could get a brand new Fluval 404 for about $80 from eBay. That'd be a great filter for a 50 gallon, plus you'd be able to use it if you upgrade your tank. I'm not sure if they're still around though.

The next best "bang for your buck" I think is the Rena XP3. They're similar gph to the fluval 404, and I think they run around $115-125.

Sometimes you can find deals on craigslist too, but you don't want to pay too much for a used filter.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 pm   

I just go a Rena Xp3 used for $70 on ebay.
Rosepruner
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 21, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:16 pm   

im the current high bidder on a fluval 405 for 100 bucks shipped, theres under two hours left on the auction so wish me luck lol
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:01 pm   

Good luck! lol
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:03 am   

after an epic auction battle, i got it for 107 shipped :)
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:12 am   

congrats!
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:44 pm   

That;s a great price for a 405! The cost around $230 I think at Petsmart!
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 pm   

Rosepruner wrote:I just go a Rena Xp3 used for $70 on ebay.


new or used?
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:38 pm   

It says he got it used for $70! :) LOL! Your questions already answered.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 pm   

Rosepruner i believe got an xp3 used for 70, the fluval 405 i got is new
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:19 am   

I got it used, LOL!! I said i got it used. The filter was in really good condition though. The hoses need to be cleaned a little, but it is in really good shape.
Rosepruner
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 21, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests