Habitat - Indoor :: how to feed turtle letuce

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:43 am   how to feed turtle letuce

musa like it (4 inch), henokh (8 inch) love it very much!!!, yakub ( yes a little bit, sometimes she wants my hand), but... Lot, Yosua, Abraham (even the biggest one!!), Nuh, Ishak, Ayub doenst like the lettuce, they just ignore it, and try to bite my finger =__=, then i try another shot, i make jelly shot, wow and nuh (4.2 inch), ishak (4 inch) love it, so i feed them everyday jelly shot =__=, but about ayub and Abraham (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO), they just ignore the lettuce and jelly shot, then i give tuna juice to lettuce, so make the lettuce smelly. its nothing :( :( :( they just ignore it.... what a beautiful problem. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
jameshermanto
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Mar 2, 2009
Location: Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:35 pm   

You may need to stick to tough love and keep offering it while cutting down on other stuff. Eventually they will eat it. Once my turt started eating lettuce, he developed a taste for it and now actually likes it.
User avatar
EmperorTunaFish
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Sep 6, 2007
Location: Oshawa, ON

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:57 pm   

It took my little guy a few months to try it and now he really can't get enough of it. He actually likes veggies more then pellets!
*Kat

Bala Sharks- three unnamed
Cats- Oreo & Lola
Goldfish- Spot, Brain
RES- Crush
Dragon Eel- Muffins II
VanishingReality
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Feb 19, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:11 pm   

i agree, starve it for a day and BOOM!!!....... youll have a lettuce lover..... they are such fatties!!!!!!! they cant wait to eat!
1 RES -SKWERTERLA (skwert 4 short!)
3 CATS-FELIX, FIG, ZOYBI
User avatar
moldygrape
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Jul 22, 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES, california

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:58 am   

just get a veggie clip and leave the lettuce on the clip inside the tank until your turtles are curious enough to take some bites
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:08 am   

yeah i forced my turtles into eating it. i leave it in there and they always look for food but if they dont eat it thats all they will get. so if they dont eat it ill just leave it there untill thay starve :p
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:56 am   

thx all!!! so what did i do, just let it starve, after my turtle beg food, than i give him lettuce!!. thx all =D really i love redearslider.com different with the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jameshermanto
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Mar 2, 2009
Location: Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:57 am   

I have been lucky where my turtles like to eat veggies (or anything). I too use a veggie clip in their tanks and it works well.
LorJ
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Jul 21, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:43 pm   hi

I don't always have lettuce in the house, but when I do I break it into some very small pieces and just drop it in the tank. They sometimes want it and other times they aren't in the mood for it. I've had moments where they usual favorite food is ignored, and they want something they usually don't go for. My guess after living with turtles for a while is to just give the lettuce to them, and if they don't touch it within a few minutes, just leave it there for a while and they'll eat it throughout the day. That's what I've always done, and they eventually eat it all. It's actually better for them to be able to eat over the course of the whole day, seems to keep them calmer and not as hyper everytime I walk by the tank.

Edit: I give them a lot of protein, by the way. I have a processed three in one can that lets you choose between grass sticks, dried baby shrimp and dried krill. I also feed them gammarus pellets which have a little bit of everything, and they go crazy for those. They do eat the grass sticks, one day they just decided they liked it and starting eating it. There are also live plants you can buy that are safe for turtles to eat. I don't like them because the turtles will damage them so severely after eating that they don't grow back... It's not good for security either when they eat their hiding place.
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:58 pm   

I usually just throw in a whole amount that I give him. Sometimes I will tear them into strips, to make them a bit more manageable.

Also, as theartbook says, Sam doesnt attack the lettuce like a maniac, but simply grazes on it.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:33 am   

Caphits wrote:I usually just throw in a whole amount that I give him. Sometimes I will tear them into strips, to make them a bit more manageable.

Also, as theartbook says, Sam doesnt attack the lettuce like a maniac, but simply grazes on it.


I did notice, also, that if they eat lettuce on a regular basis, my turtles get weird attitudes. They don't want to be handled, and don't want to go near me. I guess it their way of saying, "Give us the good food, stupid human".
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests