Habitat - Indoor :: If your cannister filter had / has four baskets how would...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:26 am   If your cannister filter had / has four baskets how would...

If your cannister filter had / has four baskets how would you utilize them ? The cannister filter I got my eye on has four media baskets and this is how I was thinking of using them.

Basket 1) Sponge
Basket 2) Sponge
Basket 3) Carbon Bag
Basket 4) Ceramic Rings

Assuming you would utilize the four baskets differently what would you do and why ?
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:05 pm   

I think most people go pretty heavy on the biomedia. Some people dont use any carbon at all. It doesnt really do much, and it drags on the water alot.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:43 pm   

yea i was wonder the same...i have the fluval 405 it has four compartments too ...it came with 2 biomax and 2 carbon ...i was wondering what should i change them to too
57 gal terrarium
2 3in sliders
1 fluval 4+
1 405 fluval
1 50gal air pump
501turtle
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Feb 17, 2009

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:04 pm   

Mine has 4.

Biomax
Biomax
Polishing pad (fine sponge)
Ceramic Rings
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 pm   

MoreBlood -- I like what you have suggested except for the second sponge. I would suggest the you put more ceramic rings for more biological exchange and keep the carbon, it takes out a lot of chemicals in the water. b.
Bascomb
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Oct 28, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:26 am   

Rubicon wrote:Mine has 4.

Biomax
Biomax
Polishing pad (fine sponge)
Ceramic Rings
Dumb question, what exactly is BioMax ?

EditL OK, So I just looked up BioMax an theyre pretty much ceramic rings so why wouldnt you just say this...

Ceramic Rings
Ceramic Rings
Polishing Pad
Ceramic Rings


Also, why have three sets of ceramic rings ? Seems a bit overkill.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:13 am   

1. Ceramic Rings
2. Ceramic Rings
3. Carbon
4. Carbon
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
User avatar
Linus
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:37 am   

WOW. I know for a fact that you dont need that much carbon. Biomax is a brand of biomedia I think.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 am   

MoreBloodWine wrote:
Rubicon wrote:Mine has 4.

Biomax
Biomax
Polishing pad (fine sponge)
Ceramic Rings
Dumb question, what exactly is BioMax ?

EditL OK, So I just looked up BioMax an theyre pretty much ceramic rings so why wouldnt you just say this...

Ceramic Rings
Ceramic Rings
Polishing Pad
Ceramic Rings


Also, why have three sets of ceramic rings ? Seems a bit overkill.


Biomax is different than normal ceramic rings. They are a breeding ground for good bacteria. Ceramic rings are good for catching large chunky stuff.

Ceramic Ringsa are a "Prefilter media" meaning it should be in the first trays. Biomax should be placed at the end of the filtration cycle.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:11 am   

All of this information is directly from the Fluval website.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:03 pm   

Rubicon wrote:
MoreBloodWine wrote:
Rubicon wrote:Mine has 4.

Biomax
Biomax
Polishing pad (fine sponge)
Ceramic Rings
Dumb question, what exactly is BioMax ?

EditL OK, So I just looked up BioMax an theyre pretty much ceramic rings so why wouldnt you just say this...

Ceramic Rings
Ceramic Rings
Polishing Pad
Ceramic Rings


Also, why have three sets of ceramic rings ? Seems a bit overkill.


Biomax is different than normal ceramic rings. They are a breeding ground for good bacteria. Ceramic rings are good for catching large chunky stuff.

Ceramic Ringsa are a "Prefilter media" meaning it should be in the first trays. Biomax should be placed at the end of the filtration cycle.
That being the case should you replace ur baskets heh, but ya, I never knew that about BioMax. From what little I read I figured it was all just the same thing. Also, I thought the sponge is generally what you wanted first to catch the poop n junk.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 pm   

Why should I replace my baskets?


I have a 404 which has a coarse foam going down the back side. Then it works its way up thru the baskets. I have the Ceramic rings first because that will catch the large stuff the big foam misses. Then I have polishing pads/fine foam to catch all the tiny stuff. Then I have two trays of Biomax, this way I have maximum breeding ground for good bacteria/algea.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 pm   

Rubicon wrote:Why should I replace my baskets?


I have a 404 which has a coarse foam going down the back side. Then it works its way up thru the baskets. I have the Ceramic rings first because that will catch the large stuff the big foam misses. Then I have polishing pads/fine foam to catch all the tiny stuff. Then I have two trays of Biomax, this way I have maximum breeding ground for good bacteria/algea.
I dont mean replace them but re arrange them heh...
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:02 pm   

My setup works perfect, I wouldn't rearrange anything.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 pm   

I use:
bottom basket - fluval prefilter
next basket up - zeo carb i think its called
top two baskets - bio rings
jerry turtle
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Nov 13, 2008

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 81 guests