Habitat - Indoor :: plexiglass and uvb?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 am   plexiglass and uvb?

Well I had no idea that a mesh top wouldn't let UVB light through (why is that, by the way?) and all I have to use at this point is a piece of plexiglass, can I use that instead?
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:14 am   

Plexiglas is worse than the screen. The plastic blocks the rays entirely. You need the top to be open or a lid with holes at least 1/2'' in size.

Egg crate is super cheap and readily available and can be cut to fit any size tank. I bought two strips of it to make the cover for my 125 gallon.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 am   

*sigh, all right. The light I have is made to sit on top of the tank so I can't clamp it onto the side. Where do I get the egg crate? I don't know what size to get it because I can't just have it resting on top of the tank, it needs to be secured (I have a cat who likes to sit on top of the tank and "babysit") What can I do to make it a secure top? Thanks.
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:34 am   

It only comes in one size. I believe it's a 4' x 2' sheet. That should work for any tank up to a 55 gallon. All you need is a pair of wire cutters to cut it down to fit into the inner lip of your tank, leaving a flat surface. The UV light can rest on top of it without doing any damage. The only thing I would worry about it the weight of your cat and the size of your tank. If your tank is larger, the weight of your cat might snap the egg crate. If it's smaller you shouldn't have to worry about it though.

** you could probably cut it with regular scissors, I just never tried.

And if you're worried about the cat pulling it up, you can get clips at the pet store to clip the lid onto the tank.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:05 am   

I think my cat would break it. Sheesh I don't know what to do now. Where can I get the egg crate? Is there anything else I can use besides that that might work better?
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:42 am   

"egg crate" is a type of light diffuser for flourescent ceiling panel lights. You can find it at a home depot type place in the section with either the flourescent ceiling lights or the ceiling panels. You can be creative about what you use, just keep in mind that the holes in whatever screen you use need to be larger than 1/4" to let the rays through.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 am   

Why can't the rays go through a mesh cover? I just thought because they were light rays they didn't really need space to go through. Interesting.
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:36 am   

Hatchling71 wrote:Why can't the rays go through a mesh cover? I just thought because they were light rays they didn't really need space to go through. Interesting.

Certain wavelengths of light are more easily reflected than others. It's like when you are sitting in a car. You can see the sun through the windshield, but you won't get a sun burn. It's because the UV doesn't make it through the glass but the visible light does.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:28 am   

Hatchling, the problem isn't the mesh top, it's the size of the holes. If your holes in your mesh top are at least 1/2", you don't need to worry about the loss of UVB. You can also cut out a hole in a normal mesh top and place the bulb over the hole.

I have two fat butt cats who like to sit on top of the turtle tank, and I have a standard reptile mesh top. Yes, I know it's blocking as much as 70% of the UVB (which the manufacturer recommends placing the UVB closer to compensate), but I needed something incredibly secure, and this mesh top was it. You can have one specially made with the larger mesh holes (glasscages.com quoted me for $25+shipping for a 40 gallon breeder).

On the next upgrade, I will have a pond for her, so it will be open. But until then, my mesh top stays ...
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:49 pm   

yeah, i was thinking about just cutting something in the top I already have, especially since they'll only be in this tank another month. It is pretty close to their basking area, it's about 6-7 inches from the top.
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:21 pm   

Depending on the top, cutting part of it off might reduce its strength. That could mean the top might not be strong enough to hold up the light.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:46 am   

Well I was just planning on cutting some 1/2 inch holes where I put the light on. Don't worry, I'm not that big of moron.
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:59 am   

Stupid UVB...

Grr. I have made a quest online for this mythical eggcrate all to no avail. Anyone have a link? I'm a poor college student so I need to price-check.

Right now I just have a piece of wax paper over her basking area. It's pretty tacky, but it works, and she's so small that all she needs is something to keep her from exploring. I have the UVB about a foot away and angled down so that it penetrates under the wax paper. The heat emitter and the UVA emit their heat through the paper... because it's the best I've got right now.

So this eggcrate-ness won't block the UVB radiation? Light is so weird. I should have remembered more from physics... A history major is totally useless in the turtle world!
1 male RES, Tank
2 female rats, Rosie and Vicki
1 male? tiger salamander, Hermie
1 female ball python, Cleo(patra)

www.jollygreenjane.com
www.flickr.com/photos/queenjane
www.youtube.com/profile?user=queenjane1234
queenjane
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Sep 7, 2008

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:00 am   

Any obstruction will block some or all UVB light and egg crate will probably block the least.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:22 am   

thegrandpoohbah wrote:
Hatchling71 wrote:Why can't the rays go through a mesh cover? I just thought because they were light rays they didn't really need space to go through. Interesting.

Certain wavelengths of light are more easily reflected than others. It's like when you are sitting in a car. You can see the sun through the windshield, but you won't get a sun burn. It's because the UV doesn't make it through the glass but the visible light does.


Umm... slightly off topic... but for somebody who is very fair skinned, you actually do get a sun burn through the windshield (VERY fair skinned red head here... and I get a very light sunburn on a 45 minute drive) so that's not entirely true...
Rosepruner
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 21, 2009

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 135 guests