Page 1 of 1

Tips for setting up the new tank please!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:05 pm
by lady_tortuga
Hi, My turtles are growing and let's just say the little floating dock isn't enough anymore. I found this aquarium that is 55-65 gallons, somewhere around there, which is a step up from my current 40-gal. I saw other people's basking areas and I got some insparation to build my own. I`m thinking of cutting out a plastic (thick see-though plastic) square, the size of say third of the new tanks top. Then I`m planning on covering the area with river-rocks (not sure what tehyre called, I`m talking about those little rocks you usually find by lakes or rivers) And I`d also like to put some fake vegetation in between the rocks, but mostly around the area, so that turtles feel ``more ìn the wild`` when they bask. I`m using a glue-gun to put everything on, and I was wondering if the glue would possibly do any demage to my pets. Please help with advice, I`m sure some of you have made basking areas before (I saw some really cool pictures on this site) Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:28 pm
by imderanged
I'm not sure I would use a glue gun. They make a lot of "low temp" glue guns these days and the heat from the basking lamp might just loosen up the glue. Aquarium silicone would be a better bond and is safe. Its what I believe most people who built the kind of thing you are talking about used.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:33 pm
by BullDog
I've used glue gun glue on stuff that's NOT in the water before, and it really doesn't last long (a couple months, max). On most of my stuff now I use aquarium silicone. It takes longer to fully cure, but it lasts so much longer, and you don't have to worry about it since it's safe for use in and out of the water.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:36 pm
by lady_tortuga
Thank you guys, very helpful. So the glue gun is off my list then ))) And the aquarium silicone I can get in a specialised aquarium store I'm guessing? BullDog, what do you mean "it takes longer to fully cure"?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:40 pm
by BullDog
You can get it in most pet stores. You can also buy "100% silicone" from hardware stores for cheaper. It depends on how much you think you'll need. The ones in the pet stores are usually smaller, and more expensive. The ones from the hardware store are large, and typically for use in a caulking gun.

For hot glue, it's dry in about 5 minutes. Silicone takes at least 24 hours to fully dry ("cure"). So I just mean the silicone takes longer to dry :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:52 pm
by lady_tortuga
ooooh okay, sorry (english second language) sometimes I don't understand certain phrases :) Ummm my father is a construction worker he has like a box of 100% silicone, so that will do?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:01 pm
by BullDog
Yes, that will be good, as long as it states on it "100% silicone".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm
by thegrandpoohbah
I know for a fact that GE Silicone I for doors and windows is safe. The kitchen and bath stuff has a mildewcide that makes it toxic for animals.

Also, the GE 1200 construction grade silicone is safe as well but probably overkill for your intended use. The tank builders around here use this stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:47 pm
by lady_tortuga
yep, actually that's what my dad does, windows and doors, so I'm pretty sure he uses that stuff too. I'll go with the 100% silicone though, just to be safe, I've never done anything like that before. And then I want to fill the tank up all the way (because now it's filled up maybe 3/4 because the dock is tiny, and the lamp satnds onthe screen) I want to fill it up all the way and put the lamp on a hanger...What else. Can somebody recomend a good (cheap) lamp, because mine sucks...