Habitat - Indoor :: Proper UVB for Hatchlings

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 pm   Proper UVB for Hatchlings

I was so excited to get my hatchling's first UVB light...only to realize my hatchling ended up with a bad case of swollen eyes as a result. :( Tilly is one inch and lives in a 10 gallon tank. Does anyone have any suggestion on what an appropriate UVB light would be for her setup? I was devestated when this happened and can't bare to see her suffer anymore.
ashipyor
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 3, 2009
Location: Midwest

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:50 pm   

Exo Terra Repti Glo 5.0% 26watt.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:53 pm   

Any suggestions on when I should begin use of this since here eyes are still swollen shut? Also-does the size of the clamp lamp make any difference? Right now I have a 10 inch one. Also, is there any type of burn in period for this light?
1 RES, Tilly (9 months old)
1 House Rabbit, Peaches (6 years old)
ashipyor
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 3, 2009
Location: Midwest

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:19 am   

I'm unsure about when to use the light since the eyes are swolllen shut.

Clamp lamp size doesn't make any difference as far as I know. I use two 5.5" clamp lamps for both my UVB and heat. And no, there isn't a burn in period.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:15 am   

one thing that you should know about the repti glos is that they are longer than the clamp lamp extends, so the bulb itself protrudes and is extremely bright

it doesn't harm the turtles, its just REALLY bright, so I don't know if that would bug you.

it bugged me at first, but it's ok now
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:02 pm   

A brand-new UVB lamp needs a burn in-period before it should be used with your turtle. How close was the bulb and turtle?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:21 pm   

The bulb was within 15 inches of the turtle.
1 RES, Tilly (9 months old)
1 House Rabbit, Peaches (6 years old)
ashipyor
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 3, 2009
Location: Midwest

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:24 pm   

steve wrote:A brand-new UVB lamp needs a burn in-period before it should be used with your turtle. How close was the bulb and turtle?


Really? I've always used the Exoterras right away with my turtle and I haven't seen any problems.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:25 pm   

Ok, I just found the packaging of the light I was using. It was a Zilla 13 watt tripcial series 25 microwatts uvb 18" series. I would really like to purchase the new UVB light soon. I want something that can go on top of the screen top of a 10L tank that is safe for a hatchling. I've been looking on multiple sights but can't find anything that lists the percentages of UVB. If anyone can reccomend a specific light that would be greatly appreciated.
1 RES, Tilly (9 months old)
1 House Rabbit, Peaches (6 years old)
ashipyor
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 3, 2009
Location: Midwest

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:01 am   

Also- any advice on if I should go with a long light or just the light bulb version? Some that I have been looking at are the ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulbs http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752656 and the Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 Compact Tropical Terrarium Lamp http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... ickid=cart. If you reccomend the Reptisun (the long light) please let me know how many inches I should go for considering the tank is only 10L.
1 RES, Tilly (9 months old)
1 House Rabbit, Peaches (6 years old)
ashipyor
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 3, 2009
Location: Midwest

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:18 am   

I'd stay away from compacts since every time I turn around a see a new warnings about them. Here's a site with a list of these bulbs and the bad effects when you use them
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

A bigger tank and a Mega-Ray SB 100 watt Self-Ballasted Flood UVB Lamp with a light stand if you can't get this lamp high enough (about 15 inches from top of shell while basking)
http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100 ... b-lamp.php

If you need more heat to get the basking site to 90 degrees use a standard household bulb in a lamp and it should bring the temp up.
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:58 am   

the Exo Terra Repti Glo 5.0% 26watt that chris recommended is the one most people use. The MVB bulb that speedynlucky linked too would be way to strong for your tank.
when you say you want it to go ontop of the screen top, do you mean sit on the screen top? if so it would probably be too close and screen tops block out alot of uvb so they cant really be used unless they are made of egg crate.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:32 am   

Hmmm...I'm not sure what do then. My basking lamp sits on top of the screen. I would like to place an order today so that tilly doesn't go too much longer without a basking light. If you don't have the screen top where does the basking light go and where does the uvb light sit? is this when you use a hood? aie! I'm so confused...but I will do whatever is best for tilly! And I don't want a repeat of the uvb being too close/too strong...I still feel like a guilty parent.
1 RES, Tilly (9 months old)
1 House Rabbit, Peaches (6 years old)
ashipyor
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 3, 2009
Location: Midwest

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:39 am   

Daniel3507 wrote:The MVB bulb that speedynlucky linked too would be way to strong for your tank.


I know thats why I said
speedynlucky wrote:A bigger tank and


In the future AFTER you get a bigger tank (which you will need soon so go big on the next one) I'd go with the mega ray or t-rex. Compacts only are effective for about 6 months where as MVB bulbs like mega ray or T-rex last up to a year and are the 2 best bulbs on the market and they give off better uvb than compacts. You'll need to give them enough height. I use a 160 watt mega ray and I have mine 19 inches from the spot using a zoomed light stand.

Here's mine
Image
Image
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:42 am   

ashipyor wrote:Hmmm...I'm not sure what do then. My basking lamp sits on top of the screen. I would like to place an order today so that tilly doesn't go too much longer without a basking light. If you don't have the screen top where does the basking light go and where does the uvb light sit? is this when you use a hood? aie! I'm so confused...but I will do whatever is best for tilly! And I don't want a repeat of the uvb being too close/too strong...I still feel like a guilty parent.
get this http://www.bizrate.com/reptilesupplies/ ... stand.html
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 202 guests