Habitat - Indoor :: water level too low.. filter doesn't work!! Help

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:57 am   water level too low.. filter doesn't work!! Help

I just set up a new tank for my turtles using a 50 gal rubbermaid bin. I fill the water half way up, but it's too low for the filter to work. I tried fill it up higher, but the tank can't handle it.. it's bowing out so much. I looked up the price for a canister filter, even XP1 cost 120. Plus, I just bought one not long ago, I don't want to get another one so soon. What can I do? please help..

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15838

I use the same tank as this person and our water level is about same. I have two bins, they are stacked together.
User avatar
swlin
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Oct 26, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:02 am   

What kind of filter do you use?
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:10 am   

You can get a Fluval 404 on Ebay for between $45 - $85.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:13 am   

Maybe you could take a razor and cut a hole in the side of the bin to hang the filter lower. I don't think it would compromise the bin too much. Worst case it does and you're out ten dollars to buy a new one.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:35 am   

PcBuilder14 wrote:You can get a Fluval 404 on Ebay for between $45 - $85.

I've never seen them below $65.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:54 am   

Chrisbarnett wrote:What kind of filter do you use?


I use marineland penguin 350 bio-wheel..
User avatar
swlin
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Oct 26, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:55 am   

PcBuilder14 wrote:You can get a Fluval 404 on Ebay for between $45 - $85.


wouldn't fluval 404 too strong cz I think there is only about 30 gal of water in it.
User avatar
swlin
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Oct 26, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:21 am   

A 404 would be fine for 30 gal of water. I'm keeping my old 404 just in case I set up my 30 gallon tank at any time ;)

As for the tank, can you "build" some sort of support around the bin to support it, then fill it up a bit more? I think I've seen various support structures for rubbermaid bins. Try doing a forum search.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:22 am   

No that wouldnt be too strong. I have an XP1 on a 10gal with an axolotl. 25x per hour turnover rate. The water looks like its boiling, but he gets along with the flow pretty nicely.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:58 pm   

get a second bin and but the first one inside the new one and you have double the support. I seen it done and the rubbermaid container doesn't bow and bust
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:51 pm   

i had a rubbermaid with the water a lil higher than half, i used some shims to support the sides, got pics if you wanna see. Also i had that filter for another set up, i noticed as long as the intake is completely submerged, and you constantly dump water in the top to get it started, it should work. Is the seal tight were the two tubes for the intake meet, that was a problem i had, if not try wrapping some duct tape around it, otherwise, try and run the filter with the intake submerged, take a cup, and pour water in the top until the flow starts itself, you may have to pour water in faster than it flows out to get it going, it may take a few minutes.
The Line-Up
0.0.1 Rescued RES (about 98% sure)
0.0.1 Red Ear Slider
0.0.1 Yellow Belly Slider
1.1.0 Tucson Banded Geckos
1.0.0 American Bull Frog
0.0.1 Crayfish
Many, Many, Many Goldfish

Piano piano ti vai piu lontano.....
User avatar
ilcapo21
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Aug 5, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:09 pm   

you can search bigalsonline.com and look at their prices, they're really low, and then take the ad into your local petco/petsmart and they will match the price. that way you get the low price, save on shipping, and get the item that day! just an idea ;)
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
User avatar
zoologist
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Jun 4, 2008
Location: Daytona, Fl

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am   

thx a lot. I taped the tube today and it worked, although the water splashes everywhere. I will post a pic of my new set up tmr.
User avatar
swlin
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Oct 26, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:44 am   

You may consider getting a stock tank. They are made to hold water so you can fill them all the way up and they will not bow. 110 gallon tank at my local feed store is $75
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:45 pm   

i got my xp3 at kensfish for 121. can you put a piece of tubing on the intake?
cb
CB
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Jun 5, 2008


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 107 guests