Habitat - Indoor :: smell

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 am   smell

I recently changed from crushed coral to river rock substrate and I've noticed a smell coming from the tank even though I changed the water monday night. This has happened twice and I never got any smells when using coral and now I'm wondering if the coral was helping with the smell. What can I do to get the smell to stop? I'm using a fluval 405 in a 55 gallon with the filter aid and carbon in the filter trays.
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:12 am   

did you boil the river rocks before adding them? it could be that the rocks are trapping alot of waste and that is were the smell is coming from
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:17 am   

The water wasn't at a boil but I did wash and soak them in water so hot it gave me a blister. Could it just be the smell of wet rock cause the water is clear?
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:34 am   

How much river rock is there? As Daniel said, debris can get caught between the rocks (whereas crushed coral is more compact, and therefore less can get caught in it).
Give the rocks a stir, and see if there's a lot of gunk down there.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:26 am   

Nothing, I changed the water monday night and I feed them by hand. You seen the pic Bulldog, it's about 1 1/2 layers deep in medium rock

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19823
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:13 pm   

Most likely the tank is going through a mini-cycle. When you removed the crushed coral you removed a lot of the nitrifying bacteria that was in it (assuming the tank was well established). The smell is probably ammonia since there now isn't enough bacteria to break it all down. Just keep up with your water changes and give it a couple weeks and everything should go back to normal.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:44 pm   

I'm going sand cause I have a feeling junk is getting trapped even though I had feed them I seen some food fall down between the rocks
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 95 guests