Page 1 of 2
T-Rex MVB vs Zoo Med PowerSun MVB

Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 am
by PetriTheTurtle
Its time to replace my UVB light and I'm planning on going with a MVB (I started using one in my lizard's tank and it did wonders for is activity and appetite levels!).
So... these two are the same price, which would you recommend?

Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:45 am
by octpusgirl8
I'm a big fan of the Mega Ray, sold at
www.reptileuv.com. I used to have a T-rex MVB, and when that wore out i got a Mega Ray and my turtle loved it, he basked a lot more often.

Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 am
by Daniel3507
between those 2 i would for sure go with the t-rex. i too had a t-rex and switched over to the mega ray. i like the mega ray more than the t-rex. turtle seems to bask more.

Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:22 pm
by PetriTheTurtle
I have a megaray for my bearded dragon, but they are awfully pricey! Since my turtle already basks enough and it generally in good health I thought I could use one of the less expensive ones. But maybe I should just get a megaray for her too... don't want her getting jealous of the lizard!

Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:20 pm
by zoologist
go with the mega ray, lol. they last 18 months and my turtle basks under it a lot more than she did.

Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:32 pm
by octpusgirl8
The way I see it, another $10-15 (especially for a bulb that lasts a year) is totally worth it to know that I'm providing my turtles with the best quality UVB I can. It's so important for their health, it's just not worth skimping on in my opinion. That being said, if you're sticking to one of those two choices I'd go with the T Rex.

Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:52 pm
by marisa
The Mega-Ray and T-Rex are made by the same company. Either is good, so of the choices you've given, the 100-watt T-Rex flood is the better one.
I've used both, and maybe it's just been my luck, but I have to say I've never had a Mega-Ray that lasted 18 months. I have had a T-Rex bulb that has.

Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:21 pm
by scripta_elegans
I also would go with the megaray bulb, and it's about the same price as the powersun, and cheaper than the T rex. That being said, I have had 2 mega ray bulbs burn out on me in the first 2 months of using them. i have 4 enclosures that have bulbs, but I still was rather unhappy about that. Spike basks far more now that I replaced her powersun with a megaray, so I am happy about that.

Posted:
Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:43 am
by PetriTheTurtle
Thanks for all the replies! Seems like the general opinion is to go with the megaray... So I check out the website, and they're cheaper than I thought. For some reason I thought I paid like $65 for the one I bought for my lizard, but $40 is not bad at all!!! Silly me.
So now my new question is do I get the 100 watt or the 100 watt low?

Posted:
Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:07 pm
by Daniel3507
i have the 100 watt and my turtle loves it

Posted:
Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:27 pm
by PetriTheTurtle
Daniel3507 wrote:i have the 100 watt and my turtle loves it
I think that's what I'm going to get... but they are out of stock so I might go with the T-Rex this time and the megaray next time!

Posted:
Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:30 am
by speedynlucky
I use mega rays

Posted:
Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:43 am
by Consultant
I use powersun.... cuz in Canada.. they dont offer Mega Ray or T-rex..
its sad.. cuz my turtles dont seem to bask at all anymore..
i just had a regular heat lamp before and they bask alot..

Posted:
Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:30 pm
by kraezeeace
i purchased a powersun bulb for my turtles but its HUGE! its so bright it reaches into my living room. So im going to save it until my turtles get bigger and i get a bigger tank

Posted:
Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:36 pm
by marisa
They're not recommended for tanks that are less than 50 gallons.