Habitat - Indoor :: T-Rex MVB vs Zoo Med PowerSun MVB

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

which MVB?

T-Rex 100 watt flood MVB
7
58%
ZooMed PowerSun MVB
5
42%
 
Total votes : 12

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 am   T-Rex MVB vs Zoo Med PowerSun MVB

Its time to replace my UVB light and I'm planning on going with a MVB (I started using one in my lizard's tank and it did wonders for is activity and appetite levels!).

So... these two are the same price, which would you recommend?
PetriTheTurtle
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Jun 26, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:45 am   

I'm a big fan of the Mega Ray, sold at www.reptileuv.com. I used to have a T-rex MVB, and when that wore out i got a Mega Ray and my turtle loved it, he basked a lot more often.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 am   

between those 2 i would for sure go with the t-rex. i too had a t-rex and switched over to the mega ray. i like the mega ray more than the t-rex. turtle seems to bask more.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:22 pm   

I have a megaray for my bearded dragon, but they are awfully pricey! Since my turtle already basks enough and it generally in good health I thought I could use one of the less expensive ones. But maybe I should just get a megaray for her too... don't want her getting jealous of the lizard!
PetriTheTurtle
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Jun 26, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:20 pm   

go with the mega ray, lol. they last 18 months and my turtle basks under it a lot more than she did.
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
User avatar
zoologist
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Jun 4, 2008
Location: Daytona, Fl

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:32 pm   

The way I see it, another $10-15 (especially for a bulb that lasts a year) is totally worth it to know that I'm providing my turtles with the best quality UVB I can. It's so important for their health, it's just not worth skimping on in my opinion. That being said, if you're sticking to one of those two choices I'd go with the T Rex.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:52 pm   

The Mega-Ray and T-Rex are made by the same company. Either is good, so of the choices you've given, the 100-watt T-Rex flood is the better one.

I've used both, and maybe it's just been my luck, but I have to say I've never had a Mega-Ray that lasted 18 months. I have had a T-Rex bulb that has.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:21 pm   

I also would go with the megaray bulb, and it's about the same price as the powersun, and cheaper than the T rex. That being said, I have had 2 mega ray bulbs burn out on me in the first 2 months of using them. i have 4 enclosures that have bulbs, but I still was rather unhappy about that. Spike basks far more now that I replaced her powersun with a megaray, so I am happy about that.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:43 am   

Thanks for all the replies! Seems like the general opinion is to go with the megaray... So I check out the website, and they're cheaper than I thought. For some reason I thought I paid like $65 for the one I bought for my lizard, but $40 is not bad at all!!! Silly me.

So now my new question is do I get the 100 watt or the 100 watt low?
PetriTheTurtle
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Jun 26, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:07 pm   

i have the 100 watt and my turtle loves it
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:27 pm   

Daniel3507 wrote:i have the 100 watt and my turtle loves it


I think that's what I'm going to get... but they are out of stock so I might go with the T-Rex this time and the megaray next time!
PetriTheTurtle
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Jun 26, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:30 am   

I use mega rays
User avatar
speedynlucky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 2, 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:43 am   

I use powersun.... cuz in Canada.. they dont offer Mega Ray or T-rex..

its sad.. cuz my turtles dont seem to bask at all anymore..
i just had a regular heat lamp before and they bask alot..
Consultant
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 12, 2009
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:30 pm   

i purchased a powersun bulb for my turtles but its HUGE! its so bright it reaches into my living room. So im going to save it until my turtles get bigger and i get a bigger tank
kraezeeace
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mar 14, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:36 pm   

They're not recommended for tanks that are less than 50 gallons.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests