Habitat - Indoor :: No UVB, but natural sunlight......

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:23 am   No UVB, but natural sunlight......

I have 4 RES about 1yr old. I do not have a UVB light source in their tank but instead I provide them natural sunlight about 3 days a week. I want to know if this is right. Also I want to know for how long these RES have to be provided sunlight.
User avatar
coolsaurabh04
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 22, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:05 pm   

your going to need to give them a proper basking area in the tank with UVB. especially since winter is coming up. do you have them all in one tank?
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:04 pm   

As UVB helps them use their calcium, turtles will always need a UVB source. It doesn't have to be everyday, but it needs to be frequent.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:16 pm   

How do you give them sunlight? Do you put them in front of a window or take them outside? When you take them out, they should be out there for at least 10-20 minutes to absorb enough UVB for the day. But, depending on where you are, you probably won't be able to keep taking them out due to the weather cooling down. UVB bulbs aren't that expensive, only like 15-20 dollars if I remember correctly.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:40 am   

I live in India. I have a garden with plenty of sunlight. I take my turtle in the garden for 15-20 min. I heard that the UV rays are harmful for human eyes and skin. This is the reason why I am using a UVB bulb. But I think 20min of natural sunlight is enough for the day. Isnt it?

Kindly Suggest.....
User avatar
coolsaurabh04
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 22, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:53 am   

Direct, intense UV rays to your eyes/skin can be harmful. But a UVB bulb or going outside isn't going to harm you.

20 mins of natural sunlight should be plenty for a day.

Just make sure and keep an eye on your turtle the whole time he's outside. They are amazing escape artists.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:03 am   

do they have a basking area in the tank?
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:11 am   

yep, they have a good basking area in the tank n they love to sit on it....

here is d video of my tank

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=4XoD1pVYeFw
User avatar
coolsaurabh04
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 22, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:31 am   

The shot moved away as he approached the basking area and when it panned back he was still clinging to the edge. Can he get on the basking area easily? If not, it would be good to extend the ramp into the water more. Also, what's the white material on it? Does it give good traction?

Taking your RES out into the sunshine several times a week for 20 - 30 minutes is fine.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:11 am   

Thanks Marisa............yep, they can easily climb the basking area........i mostly find all four of them there........and also the white material is a cloth kind of stuff which provides a good traction......
User avatar
coolsaurabh04
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 22, 2008


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 166 guests