Page 1 of 1

Moonlight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:53 pm
by maddpnoi
Anyone here have a moonlight set up for their turtle tank?
Is it even okay for turtles?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 pm
by BullDog
Turtles, like us, prefer darkness to sleep. I'm not sure how those type of night lights would affect their sleeping habits.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:44 pm
by Chrisbarnett
if you are planning to turn them off at night, then they are kinda cool. I'm not sure if they are really worth the trouble, as the "moon" look is actually pretty hard to achieve.

There are two ways to do it that I have seen, one way is to use the lights made for computer cases. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_moonlight.php

Or another way to do it is to buy blue LED lights, and wire them up to give that blue cast down that you want.

The way that looks best from what I have seen is the cold cathode lighting in the link above.

Either way, It's something I have thought about doing, but deemed it not worth the trouble. and to add to it, I don't have any electrical wiring experience, and it's not something I want to venture into.