Habitat - Indoor :: Moonlight

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:53 pm   Moonlight

Anyone here have a moonlight set up for their turtle tank?
Is it even okay for turtles?
User avatar
maddpnoi
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sep 22, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 pm   

Turtles, like us, prefer darkness to sleep. I'm not sure how those type of night lights would affect their sleeping habits.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:44 pm   

if you are planning to turn them off at night, then they are kinda cool. I'm not sure if they are really worth the trouble, as the "moon" look is actually pretty hard to achieve.

There are two ways to do it that I have seen, one way is to use the lights made for computer cases. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_moonlight.php

Or another way to do it is to buy blue LED lights, and wire them up to give that blue cast down that you want.

The way that looks best from what I have seen is the cold cathode lighting in the link above.

Either way, It's something I have thought about doing, but deemed it not worth the trouble. and to add to it, I don't have any electrical wiring experience, and it's not something I want to venture into.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests