Habitat - Indoor :: Basking Area Complete Turtles not Basking! UPDATE PAGE 3

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:21 pm   Basking Area Complete Turtles not Basking! UPDATE PAGE 3

Ok I am almost complete with the basking area I have all the Plexiglas in place and the ramp is in place temporarily and it is really secure. the problem I am having now is that the turtles are not basking "DAM WHAT A WASTE" My Turtles would bask every day when I had only the turtle doc that is now the ramp . It has been about 4 days now and they haven't basked once. My question is how long can they go with out basking. before I should start to get concerned . Here are some pics of the basking area.
Any Thoughts would be A big HELP!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

So I guess if they decide to never bask on this hotel of a basking area that I feel I might have wasted my time on I will donate to a lucky turtle owner in the N.Y. Area :cry: LOL--We will see what happens.


I Also have a new addition to my Herp. collection. I Went to the N.Y. Reptile Show in westchester on the 7th and my son was with me and now i am a proud owner of ----pic's below

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

She is an Amel Motley cornsnake and about 10" inches long and eating pinkies so i have about 20 pinkie mice in the freezer which when my wife saw them In the freezer I was almost thrown out of the house with the snake, so I am purchasing a small freezer this sat. lol :roll: The snake is pretty cool my son loves him. I guess some Geckos and a Bearded Dragon might be next and i might end up putting a reptile shop together Why not Ill be out of room soon!
Last edited by madmax1 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:38 pm   

How do you have the turtle dock on the platform?
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:06 pm   

The turtle doc is wedged between the basking doc and the tank support here
the plexi is 3/8 inch and the edges of the plexiglas area are in-between the habi-scape background and the base of the wood frame of the topper-which helps keep the ramp in place pretty secure plus it is easily removed for cleaning, as it all is- The plexi front slides up for easy access to the tank for water changes. The plexi basking area slides over to the middle for removal, and can be placed on either side of the tank.

Image

Image
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:13 pm   

Looks pretty darn cool, I can't wait to get my ATBA up.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
User avatar
JimmyJam
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Location: Martinez, CA, US

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:16 pm   

Oh and since nobody has answered your question... I recently upgraded Mary Jane to her new 45 gal home(Yes, it's under the size cage she needs I know, just don't have the cash) she hasn't really basked like she did before. On one of my posts I think in this forum I asked the same question and was told she needed to get used to her new home. So give your turtle a couple weeks, it will be fine. And if you'd like to help them notice it, lure it up the ramp to the basking area with some food.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
User avatar
JimmyJam
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Location: Martinez, CA, US

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:40 pm   

JimmyJam wrote:Oh and since nobody has answered your question... I recently upgraded Mary Jane to her new 45 gal home(Yes, it's under the size cage she needs I know, just don't have the cash) she hasn't really basked like she did before. On one of my posts I think in this forum I asked the same question and was told she needed to get used to her new home. So give your turtle a couple weeks, it will be fine. And if you'd like to help them notice it, lure it up the ramp to the basking area with some food.


great thanks for the info will try the food tomorrow and will give them some time. i did not realize it might take a couple of weeks. should have finished it a lot sooner then i did while they were smaller i started this project end of last summer so its been about a year the top was on but they were using the zoomed basking doc all that while now they have to use it as a ramp they must be like whats up with that.
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:40 pm   

Forgot to ask, but you do have a heat lamp for the corn snake right? Didn't see one in the pics ;P
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
User avatar
JimmyJam
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Location: Martinez, CA, US

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:17 am   

Looks great! What type of backing are you using for the basking area?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:30 am   

Wow! What a nice basking area! You did a great job! Once your turtles get used to it, they'll start to bask again.
MEL
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Atlanta

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:30 am   

JimmyJam wrote:Forgot to ask, but you do have a heat lamp for the corn snake right? Didn't see one in the pics ;P



The consnake has an under tank heating pad which is controlled by a reptitemp rheostat . It maintains a top substrate temp of about 88 degrees on the hot side of the tank which gradually gets to 75 to 72 degrees on the cool side the air temp ranges from 78 degrees on the hot side to about 75 to 71 degrees on the cool side. I also have a heat lamp which i dont need at the moment. The humidity level is maintained between 40 to 80 percent. right now i keep it at about 60 percent with no effort because the humidity from the 300 gallons of water from the evaporation of the turtle tanks keeps the area pretty humid!
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:43 am   

steve wrote:Looks great! What type of backing are you using for the basking area?


This is the rock wall I used got it from-Black Jungle Terrarium Supply--

http://www.blackjungle.com/

Image
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:53 am   

My turtles takes about 2 weeks to get used to the new basking area I've made for them... I think they know that they have the basking area, its just in different look so they get confused maybe and still not used to it.. they always climb and jump climb and jump.. to make some QC maybe.. hehe.. Now they already conquer the basking area~! yeay..


You just need to be patient k..
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:10 am   

I hope so, they don't even try to go near the ramp, they seem to like to stay under the basking side and hang out with there heads out of the water checking things out from below. there is about a 3 inch gap between the water and basking area platform. they must feel secure there

Image
Image

charley likes to hide in her rock all the time thats is her spot no one else can have it!
she watches every thing from there.
Image
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:11 pm   GAVE BASKING A SHOT

Here is some great news I actually caught my albino casper on the basking area I was online sitting right next to the tanks and didn't even realize she was up there till Guess she got startled and I heard all this clambering and she flew off the basking doc Now as I type this my caramel slider made it half way up the ramp and came to a dead stop stayed for a min. and changed his mind. so I guess I wont be donating my basking top after all :lol:
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:11 pm   

I have the same plant you do! It's huge in my 53 gallon!
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 111 guests