Habitat - Indoor :: The highly anticipated sand pictorial

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:32 pm   The highly anticipated sand pictorial

:lol: ok, so not that highly anticipated, but here it is.
If you have a slow connection, sorry, lots of pics.

The sand I bought, 5.68 at OSH.
Image
What you'll need; 5 gal bucket, and hose.
Image
Cut a small hole in the bag:
Image
Pour the sand in the bucket, I only did a small amount because thats how much I wanted to add:
Image
Initial fill up:
Image
Let the hose run, go text some friends, work on something else...
Image
After 5 min
Image
After 10ish minutes, looks a lot clearer doesn't it? I deem it ready to go in the tank.
Image
Dump off excess water slowly until you get this
Image
Get something to put the sand in the tank with, I prefer a spatula.
Image
NOTE: Turn off your filter before proceeding!
Grab a spatula full of sand...
Image
and dump it in!
Image
Dumping in more sand..
Image
**I spilled some sand at this point, so I grabbed the vaccum and sucked it up before I ground it in the carpet with my foot. :)
And just a bit of cloudiness this time...
Image
If you notice a lot of cloudiness, wait a while for it to settle before turning on your filter, in my case, I just plugged mine right back in.
I think that about covers it, Enjoy!
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:43 pm   

what did you do with squirt?
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:57 pm   

that looks easy enough
do you have to clean under it?
1 Common Map- Harley
1 Red Ear Slider- Ralpy
1 dog- Pepper Ann
User avatar
taurusgirl
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:58 pm   

They should make it a sticky :)
:DI love my turts!!:D
~)-My cuties-(~
RES: Flea
Diamondback Terrapins: Mikey
Hamster: Teddy

RIP Ricky...You were so adorable and will be missed a lot .....
RIP Dusty

Tommy, Soldier, and Sky are in a bigger pond now
User avatar
Sk8gal
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Torrance, CA

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:05 pm   

Yay!!! I'm going to do it. :D One question though. How do you clean it? I mean when you're ready to clean the tank, don't you have to shift through it or something? Or does all the garbage stay on top? Do you have to replace it ever? I'm SOO excited!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who ever said turtles were slow?
User avatar
crackerlady2007
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mar 12, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:07 pm   

I left him in the tank.

Check out the Sand FAQ sticky in this section, it addresses cleaning it. :) All garbage stays on top.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:30 pm   

Great pics, Chris - - I am off to check out the sand FAQ's - - I think I may have to go with sand!!
Reel Girl
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Apr 6, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA - USA

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:36 pm   

Chris, maybe you should edit this procedure onto the sand FAQ?
:DI love my turts!!:D
~)-My cuties-(~
RES: Flea
Diamondback Terrapins: Mikey
Hamster: Teddy

RIP Ricky...You were so adorable and will be missed a lot .....
RIP Dusty

Tommy, Soldier, and Sky are in a bigger pond now
User avatar
Sk8gal
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Torrance, CA

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:38 pm   

Thanks for reminding me. I planned on doing it earlier, but then I forgot.

I'll add it in a bit.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:16 pm   

That looks good.

Why did you want more sand? I only have 20 pounds and it's enough to cover it fine.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:17 pm   

Great post, def should be a sticky !!!
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:26 pm   

I only added a couple pounds, It was a bit too thin for my liking in some areas, and I wanted some more to mound up around my plants.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:46 am   

Ok, I added this to the Sand FAQ.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:52 pm   

hahaa nice label on the bucket
"tank water only!"

i have a bunch of tupperware labeled turtle and bottles and gloves ahha.


nice tutorial, i cant wait to start my 50g setup......still havent started
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:16 pm   

Hahaha ya, i put the label on their because my mom would have forgot and used it to hold carwash liquid or something. :lol:
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests