Page 1 of 2

turtle docks = tacky.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:30 am
by LeslieMW
so i love the concept of the comercial turtle docks, but i hate the nasty mustard yellow color of them. any idea on what else i can use?

i've tried to stack rocks, but they just fall over. i tried making a nice on out of vinyl tile, but of course, that didn't work.

so any ideas? thankyouu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:54 am
by packfan1
If you are still talking about having a floating dock, then no. I have heard and seen some above tank basking areas that are done in egg crates or plexiglass. You could look through the pic gallery for ideas or wait for others that have created a set up to reply.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:57 am
by LeslieMW
oh yea, a dock that is in the tank, i can't build an above area just yet!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:03 am
by imderanged
I think they are sorta yucky looking too, so I use plastic plants to kinda disguise them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:04 am
by LeslieMW
haha good idea.

and yess the are sorta yucky looking. why would they make them that awful color and not atleast a nice dark brown? haha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:05 am
by Chrisbarnett
this is what i have in my 55 gal for now.
Image

I have no idea if you can buy them, I bought it at my local petshop and it was just labeled as a floating island, so I don't know if they are widely available.. sorry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:13 am
by LeslieMW
haha thanks. i'll look it up online.

i have "roman ruins" theme for my tank. i think a nice whitish colored floating rock/dock/island would look good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:14 am
by mzkitty23
mustard yellow???? my dock is brown. u can use large piece of corkbark IF you can find it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:31 am
by LeslieMW
really? do you know what kind it is?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:36 am
by mzkitty23
here's one I found online that's gray...http://www.petdiscounters.com/R-Zilla-F ... ovi5mgkr83

or for now, it might work to have a couple of these, since yours are really small...http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753979

they have floating ones too, but i think the floating log one has been found by the site to be dangerous (i think i remember that).

On mine, I was looking online to find it, It looks EXACTLY like the ZooMed. I think it may be, but it's DEFINITELY not mustard yellow like y'alls. It's brown.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:08 am
by turboturtle8
You can try a acrylic basking area!They are really nice they come in 2-3 sizes and are easy to clean. I ordered mine off of doctors foster and smith

they have suction cups and they havine green griping heres a pic


http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 3%26sa%3DN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:55 am
by Daniel3507
turboturtle8 wrote:You can try a acrylic basking area!They are really nice they come in 2-3 sizes and are easy to clean. I ordered mine off of doctors foster and smith

they have suction cups and they havine green griping heres a pic


http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 3%26sa%3DN


thats what im using in my tank for right now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 am
by AllisonChains
I love that acrylic basking thing, but did it take your turts awhile to use it or figure it out? Not fall off the thing?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:47 am
by Daniel3507
not really. cujo hasnt had problems knowing how to use it. alot of times he will climb to the very top and then dive off and just do it over and over again

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:52 pm
by LeslieMW
mzkitty23 wrote:here's one I found online that's gray...http://www.petdiscounters.com/R-Zilla-F ... ovi5mgkr83

or for now, it might work to have a couple of these, since yours are really small...http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753979

they have floating ones too, but i think the floating log one has been found by the site to be dangerous (i think i remember that).

On mine, I was looking online to find it, It looks EXACTLY like the ZooMed. I think it may be, but it's DEFINITELY not mustard yellow like y'alls. It's brown.


yea i like that R-zilla floating basking dock. i think it would look good in my tank. thanks!!