Habitat - Indoor :: Thoughts about a used filter....

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:24 pm   Thoughts about a used filter....

So there is this fantastic deal on used.com in my area. Someone is selling their Fluval FX5 for $150 because it is too strong for their set up! I sent them an email asking how long they have had it, how long they have used it, and if it is still under warranty.

What are your guys' thoughts on purchasing a used filter?

Thanks :)
Cim*Forever
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Nov 11, 2007
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:40 pm   

I bought my Fluval 404 used from ebay. The guy said he only used it about a week. When I got it, it was very clean, and didn't smell, so I'm sure the guy was telling the truth.

I've had it for about 3 years now, and have had no problems with it. The only thing I had to replace about a year ago was the impeller, but that was more my fault than the age of the filter ;)

$150 sounds like a good deal if it hasn't been up and running for too long. You can give it a rinse out with vinegar to make sure it's nice and clean.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:41 pm   

I dont know I thought I had a great deal on a giant eheim from craigslist on the cheap. Guy said it had never been used and came free with his tank. I fell for it. Turned out it had never been used BY HIM! The thing is ancient, came with no tubing, connectors - just the pump and the canister. I would have had to spend at least another $100 to get media, tubes, etc to get the thing up and running. Not worth it.

See if you cant find a "new" never been used one on ebay. One recently went for about 175. Or if the used one is close go see it. I dont think I will buy a used on sight unseen again.
Mom to:

1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!
User avatar
mat012
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Apr 9, 2008
Location: Aggieland, Texas

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:41 pm   

Hey, Im not too sure about a used filter, ,my first one was really bad the water got murky so fast. but i got a FLUVAL2 PLUS with black filter pads and white and the black ones are if you are giving them medicine it removes traces and it gets rid of disclolouration i use that once a month so maybe the filter would be ok if you tried out the filter pads?
shellieInIreland
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Jan 26, 2008
Location: County Cork, Ireland

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:26 pm   

If it's in good condition upon seeing it, I would go for it. Like bulldog said, you can always give everything a good rinse down with vinegar.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:33 pm   

Ah thanks for all the replies guys, it seems he has changed his add to his whole setup, 45 gallon tank, fx5 and lights for $250. Sadly my tank is bigger or else I might have baught it :P
Cim*Forever
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Nov 11, 2007
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:37 pm   

Bummer :p

Like Matt said, check out ebay. I got mine for around $220 CAD with shipping, and that was when the $ was a bit lower... about .95 US. I've seen a couple go for 175-200 :) The bonus for buying on ebay is that most of them come with a bit of media - Mine came with carbon and polish pads.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests