Habitat - Indoor :: Mercury vapor bulbs

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:06 pm   Mercury vapor bulbs

I'm thinking of switching my lighting around. I got a 125W Hagen Solar Glo MVB for the lizard, and she doesn't seem to be thriving under it. Her growth has slowed and she turns herself dark to soak up more heat, even directly under it. I was thinking about getting her either a T-Rex or a powersun and giving the Solar Glo to Napoleon, since he's due for a new uvb bulb. What do you think? Is either of those bulbs preferable?
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:07 pm   

Either get the T-Rex or a Mega-Ray. Either is considered to be better than the Powersun.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:23 pm   

Awesome, thank you!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:36 pm   

i have a t-rex and it does the trick
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:38 pm   

I read that it's recommended a mega-ray use a 10-inch dome. Is that the same for the t-rex? Will it fit in a 8.5 inch dome? I haven't been able to find a 10" clamp lamp. What are you guys using?
Mickey
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sep 10, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:45 pm   

All of the MVBs I've been familiar with didn't fit in a regular 10 inch dome. I had to go to the hardware store and get a brooder lamp, which was barely deep enough. If you're suspending the lamp, any fixture with a high enough wattage will work, but if it's resting on a screen it can't be sticking out the end.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:31 am   

I have the the Powersun MVB and It doesn't get hot enough for my turtle. I had to add an extra basking lamp to get him to bask longer. When it's time to get a new one I'm switching brands.
Tracie
1 2yr male RES Buddy
1 fat female cat Missy
1 fluffy male cat Joey
1 husband Kyle
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/RESnTX/
RESnTX
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Feb 3, 2008
Location: Houston, Tx

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:13 pm   

my t-rex didnt get hot enough and i didnt feel comfortable moving it closer so i got a ceramic heat emiter. i have a flukers clamp lamp but the bulb hangs out the bottom. i would reccomend a deep lamp from a hardware store
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 pm   

Get a 10-inch dome---they give off a lot of heat and the larger dome will allow for better circulation. Also get one with a ceramic fixture and high wattage rating---at least 250 watts. You should be able to get what you need at places like Home Depot or Lowes.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 98 guests