Habitat - Indoor :: HUGE new tank... (Finished Product!!!)

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:49 pm   HUGE new tank... (Finished Product!!!)

So a friends of my dad's is giving us a 100 gallon fish tank... And this is a HUGE upgrade for Squirrely (Who I recently discovered was a female, when we've been calling her a him for a year and a half). Being a poor college student, she's currently in a 10 gallon (because when we were sold her we were told that they didn't need anything and were just as easy to care for as a goldfish. *Beach turtle sales people are liers*).
So... I'm basically at a loss for what I'm going to do...
I'm pretty sure her rinky dink little lamps and basking ramp and filter aren't going to cut it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm interested in making like 1/4 of is a dry side for her to bask on... But I've heard mixed reviews... And I think the tank will be coming with a canister filter (Which I know nothing about).

So If you could help me out with some suggestions (And nothing too crazy cause remember, *poor college student*) I just want to make sure that she's happy and healthy.

Thanks!

:shock:

Image The Old Puny Tank

p.s the water is super low cause water aint cheap in the county and we'll be using 100 some gallons this weekend for the new one.
Last edited by AHull5 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
<3Amber (A-Hull)
~1 RES- Squirrely
~2 Black Cats- Skeeter and Sphynx
~1 Boxer- Diego
~1 Palmeranian- Pepper
~3 Minnows (Squirrely wont eat them...)
AHull5
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:05 pm   

I went from a 20 gallon to a 75 gallon. The biggest investment other than the tank was a new filter, which it sounds like you may have covered already! I bought a new heater for $20, and bubbler, but that's not a neccesity, and a new basking light. I used the one of the old fixures, but got rid of my seperate basking lamp and compact fluorecent and went with a Mercury Vapor Bulb. I love having to deal with just one lamp, and Sylar seems to be basking more and shedding better. I think the Bulbs are $30-40 -ish, but I find it worth it. I used the same old zoomed basking doc from the old tank. I think a floating dock, or an above tank basking area is a better idea then dividing the tank. They really spend so much more of their time in the water, that its best to give them as much swimming room as possible. I did add a turtle landing pad and river rock and plastic plants, but that all extras...although plastic plants are cheap, and the turtle really love them.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 pm   

So the mercury vapor does the job of both the head and UVA UVB bulbs??
Right now I just have those two set up in normal desk lamps... I'm guessing I would have to get a special fixture for the mercury vapor one?
<3Amber (A-Hull)
~1 RES- Squirrely
~2 Black Cats- Skeeter and Sphynx
~1 Boxer- Diego
~1 Palmeranian- Pepper
~3 Minnows (Squirrely wont eat them...)
AHull5
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:29 pm   

You'll need a lamp with a ceramic socket for a mercury vapor bulb, and you'll need to make sure it's rated for a high enough wattage. It's not an expensive thing though, they're not much more than the regular plastic socket lamps. With an MVB it's important to make sure the bulb is positioned vertically, so hanging it, from a stand or from the ceiling, is a good option. You should be able to use the old lamps until you get that all set up though. Do you know what kind of filter you're getting?
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:31 pm   

I don't know...
The guy my dad's getting it from said that there may be a canister filter in the tank... There's also an undergravel filter (He had fish) and lots of crushed coral... which I wont be using because the river rocks I have now are enough of a pain.
Any suggestions of a filter brand and type in case I do end up having to buy one?
<3Amber (A-Hull)
~1 RES- Squirrely
~2 Black Cats- Skeeter and Sphynx
~1 Boxer- Diego
~1 Palmeranian- Pepper
~3 Minnows (Squirrely wont eat them...)
AHull5
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:41 pm   

For a tank that size, a Fluval FX5 would be perfect...but from one poor college student to another, they are pretty expensive. A good filter is one of the best investments you can make in setting up a turtle tank, so it's money well spent. A Rena Filstar XP3 or XP4 would probably get the job done, they're generally a lot cheaper than the FX5. An undersized filter means more frequent water changes, which would be a problem for you i'm guessing, so you hsould try to get a good one. You could probably run the undergravel filter under the river rocks as supplemental filtration. Running it in reverse (water being pushed up through the bottom rather than being sucked down) would probably be a great help in keeping the river ricks free from gunk, if that's an option. If you have to get a filter, do a lot of shopping around, because prices vary widely from store to store, and sometimes you can find a really good sale.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:47 pm   

I'd go with a Fluval FX5 or a Rena XP4. Both should be good for your size tank. Look on ebay, just look at reliable sellers, but as long as it comes new in the box, it should be good. (You might even be able to find a used one that you can clean out thoroughly, though I would avoid ebay on that one and look at local options so you can see the state of the filter first. Remember, though, that initially to replace ALL of the media, it will run around $25-50. The new ones come with some media, not all that you need though.)

As opposed to making a land side, which can be a pain, you can work on making an above tank basking area. These are good because then you can use all of the actual tank for water and the above area for basking. Since you have a female, you can build in a nesting area too for her future eggs.

You don't have to go with a MVB, you can use your two lights for as long as you care to, and then if you want to upgrade, you can do that whenever.

For a 100 gallon tank, you may need 2 water heaters, but those are pretty cheap.

Oh, and the better filter you have, the less water you'll need to change out, which helps a lot. Also, your turtle's water doesn't have to be awesome water, if your drinking water costs a lot and you have well water available (for like showering), that might be fine for your turtle tank. Depending on the filter you buy, a lot of them will remove a lot of stuff from the water, so that can help out.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:11 am   

Look into creating a simple basking area using cork bark. It will give a very natural look to the tank, it's easy to make and should last awhile.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:21 pm   

I got the tank today and I think squirrely is going to love it.
We're busy making the stand right now... and it's taking a lot of wood. Haha.

My dad and I decided to make a sort of built in basking/nesting place out of some plexiglass...
I'm saving money up for a filter because of course it didn't come with one, but I'll be okay.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! Keep them coming if you think of anything new.

<3
<3Amber (A-Hull)
~1 RES- Squirrely
~2 Black Cats- Skeeter and Sphynx
~1 Boxer- Diego
~1 Palmeranian- Pepper
~3 Minnows (Squirrely wont eat them...)
AHull5
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:37 pm   

Bought two pumps for the under gravel filter, and another heater...
Only thing we have left to buy is plexiglass and the canister filter.

:-)

Project seems to be coming along nicely.
<3Amber (A-Hull)
~1 RES- Squirrely
~2 Black Cats- Skeeter and Sphynx
~1 Boxer- Diego
~1 Palmeranian- Pepper
~3 Minnows (Squirrely wont eat them...)
AHull5
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:17 pm   

- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
User avatar
zoologist
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Jun 4, 2008
Location: Daytona, Fl

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:44 pm   Progress

Image

I decided I'd update on the progress... The cabinet underneat was made by my pops and me...

Image

We built everything in and have the surge protector underneath.


So Squirrely is going to be very happy to go from this...

Image

to This...

Image

And yay for Squirrely being happy.

Image

[admin note - fixed the links]
<3Amber (A-Hull)
~1 RES- Squirrely
~2 Black Cats- Skeeter and Sphynx
~1 Boxer- Diego
~1 Palmeranian- Pepper
~3 Minnows (Squirrely wont eat them...)
AHull5
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:15 pm   

I was also wondering if having glass as the bottom of her basking area was a poor decision... Will it get too hot and burn her little feet?
It shouldn't if the lamps are the right distance away, right?
If not I'll just glue river rock to it...
<3Amber (A-Hull)
~1 RES- Squirrely
~2 Black Cats- Skeeter and Sphynx
~1 Boxer- Diego
~1 Palmeranian- Pepper
~3 Minnows (Squirrely wont eat them...)
AHull5
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:34 am   

I would put down some reptile carpet. Glass will get pretty hot. If you decide to glue river rock you need to use aquarium grade silicone.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 am   

Already bought the silicone! HaHa!
<3Amber (A-Hull)
~1 RES- Squirrely
~2 Black Cats- Skeeter and Sphynx
~1 Boxer- Diego
~1 Palmeranian- Pepper
~3 Minnows (Squirrely wont eat them...)
AHull5
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 178 guests