Habitat - Indoor :: Extremely confused anout light bulbs...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:06 pm   Extremely confused anout light bulbs...

I assure you I've read the forum for more than an hour trying to figure out what bulb to get for my basking area... but all that's happened is that I'm even more confused. So... if I'm in search for the correct lighting and have TROUBLE finding a pet shop with special UVB bulbs for reptiles... what can I get at another store that will help my turts out and not end up killing them? :cry: [/b]
User avatar
yterron
 
Posts: 40
Joined: May 29, 2008

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:09 pm   

Most people have the Exo Terra Repti Glo 5.0 26watt compact bulb. It seems reliable and is around $20 or less.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752555
User avatar
Nettle
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Feb 19, 2008
Location: Ohayo

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:41 pm   Think I can use a non reptile bulb in the meanwhile?

I live in Guatemala, and I'm pretty sure they're inaccessible here... even if there were some they'd probably blow up the price... so I'm ordering it on e-bay. but you think i can use a common light bulb for now? :?:
User avatar
yterron
 
Posts: 40
Joined: May 29, 2008

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:43 pm   

You need two light bulbs- one with UVA and one with UVB.

The UVA one can be a common house bulb- the point of it is to heat the basking area.

The UVB bulb is needed for vitamin production. You can either buy a bulb, supplement your turtle's diet, or provide natural sunlight by letting the turtle outside a few times a week. I wouldn't buy a UVB bulb from EBay because you can't tell if it's been used- the bulbs will still "light up" even after they stop producing a decent amount of UVB, they're only good about 6 months.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:56 pm   

it's possible to "supplement the diet" where you don't need a UVB????
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
User avatar
mzkitty23
 
Posts: 590
Joined: May 25, 2008
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:16 pm   

You can supplement their diet, but it's only recommended if getting a UVB bulb is completely impossible. You would also optimally allow them outside to get their UVB. But giving a turtle (or animal) any type of supplement comes with needing a lot of knowledge about dosing and if their body can handle the supplement, which means needing to talk to a vet. UVB is the cheapest and easiest way to keep your turtle healthy.

And you know, being from the US, I can't even imagine owning pets outside of the US. Everyone seems to have such problems getting things that I take for granted! It's just not fair that everyone on this board doesn't have access to basic items ...
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:41 pm   

OH OKAY! Yeah, mine has a UVB, i just had never heard of that and interested to see how that worked. Thanks! BTW, your avatar turned out great, that's adorable!
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
User avatar
mzkitty23
 
Posts: 590
Joined: May 25, 2008
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:43 pm   

How far away should the Repti Glo 5.0 be from the basking spot to be safe?
res08
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Mar 30, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:48 am   

TheComputerGremlin wrote:You can supplement their diet, but it's only recommended if getting a UVB bulb is completely impossible. You would also optimally allow them outside to get their UVB. But giving a turtle (or animal) any type of supplement comes with needing a lot of knowledge about dosing and if their body can handle the supplement, which means needing to talk to a vet. UVB is the cheapest and easiest way to keep your turtle healthy.

And you know, being from the US, I can't even imagine owning pets outside of the US. Everyone seems to have such problems getting things that I take for granted! It's just not fair that everyone on this board doesn't have access to basic items ...


[/b] Well, it's not that impossible to get many things, but it's not as easy as in the U.S. to just go to your pet shop from around the corner and find everything there... I've started to ask around and it seems there is a place where I can get the UVB bulb!!! Woo hooo!!!!! 8)
User avatar
yterron
 
Posts: 40
Joined: May 29, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 pm   

RES08- follow the instructions on the package. I believe the bulb should be 11 inches away or so. Too close and it will irritate the eyes, too far and it won't be effective enough.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:20 pm   

umm I got a 10.0 uvb light, is that bad? i read in the site that is the amount to get! omg Am I overdosing my turtle with UVB????
1 RES- ROCKY... my boyfriend found him on the streets of Jackson Heights, NY... he's my lil ninja turtle!
ILUV_Rocky
 
Posts: 44
Joined: May 30, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:28 am   

ILUV_Rocky,
No, you are not overdosing your turtle with UVB, as long as its eyes are not irritated from the light and it is the proper distance from the turtle, your fine.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests