Habitat - Indoor :: Filtration for 125 gallon tank??

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:12 pm   Filtration for 125 gallon tank??

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while, but could use some help.

I just got a great deal on a 125 gallon tank with stand. I was wondering what kind of filtration I should get for it? Rena XP4? Fluval FX5? any other ideas???

Pookie (4 1/2 inches) and Pebbles (6 1/2 inches) are going to be moving to their new home as soon as I get everything set up.

Im keeping the 55 gallon (with a Rena XP3) and will probably set up something else there lol.

Thanks in advance
Rottie_mom
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mar 13, 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:17 pm   

I have a 125 with 2 XP3 filters. It stays crystal clear with those, but I bet an XP4 would work well too.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:45 pm   

I've got the Fluval FX5 in my 90 gal and I love it. If you don't mind spending the extra $$, I'd say go for that one, since it has some nice features (self priming, you can drain the tank with it, it gets rid of air every 24 hours...). Check ebay to get a brand new one for $200 or less.

As scripta said, you can re-use your XP3, and add additional filtration, such as a secondary XP3. This is a great idea too, since you get twice the media as just one filter, plus save some $$ :) Plus, with two turtles, you would have no worries with two filters if it can handle the extra waste.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 pm   

how much do those filters cost?
frog
 
Posts: 99
Joined: May 26, 2008
Location: Reno, NV

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:29 pm   

Check the online deals forum, you'd get a good estimate of some recent prices of these products.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:03 pm   

I'd suggest the FX5. I had an XP3 in my 90 gallon for a couple a years and it just kept getting weaker over the last year. Bought an FX5 in the past month and there is no comparison. It beats the XP's hands down. A month after installing it my tank was as clean as the day I installed the filter. The FX5 is also alot simpler to use in many ways. With the motor and impeller on the bottom you don't have to fill it all the way up before you turn it on like you do with the XP3. Matter of fact the FX5 is designed to fill itself. You just need a little bit of water in the bottom to cover the impeller. Also with an extra hose you can attach it to the extra nozzle the FX5 has and drain the tank and filter. You can also do a partial filter cleaning from that as well without having to shut everything down and tear down the filter. It's a much smarter and better filter for the price.
User avatar
Spookster
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sep 24, 2005
Location: Marion, IA USA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:45 pm   

Good to know Spookster! I will have to look into those when I kill an XP3.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:31 pm   

Thanks everyone for the good info. I was leaning towards the FX5. Good to hear it getting such great reviews. Going to look around to see what I can find as far as deal. Will be getting it with next paycheck lol
Rottie_mom
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mar 13, 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:07 am   

I'm itching for a FX5 too, but I already have an extra XP3 boxed up. Scripta, once you figure how to take down and XP3, let me know :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:14 pm   

Oh Steve. It isn't me, but the naughty and powerful Spike who will do that poor thing in. She loves ripping off the filter intakes, and they occasionally come off above the water line, which isn't very good for them. I tried siliconing them together, but now the whole big piece comes off vs. sections.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:45 pm   

Hmmm, maybe you can wrap airline tubbing around it? My turts leave it alone, but I do have a few extra suction cups holding it down.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:50 am   

scripta_elegans wrote:Oh Steve. It isn't me, but the naughty and powerful Spike who will do that poor thing in. She loves ripping off the filter intakes, and they occasionally come off above the water line, which isn't very good for them. I tried siliconing them together, but now the whole big piece comes off vs. sections.


Had the same problem with my turtle and the XP3. She cannot do it to the FX5. The intake and output on the FX5 have a secure way of attaching to the tank wall. It's a brilliant design.
User avatar
Spookster
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sep 24, 2005
Location: Marion, IA USA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:06 am   

I just recently got an FX5 too. Today I changed some media. It was easier than changing the media in the little zoomed 501 I was using!!! (except for turning those valves to detach the tubes...I had to have my hubby do that. Maybe there's a trick? Or its just stiff 'cause it's new...) So far I'm really loving the FX5.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:10 am   

Spookster wrote:Had the same problem with my turtle and the XP3. She cannot do it to the FX5. The intake and output on the FX5 have a secure way of attaching to the tank wall. It's a brilliant design.


The suction cups are really good on the bottom of the FX5 strainer, but I ended up taking them off. Or rather, I thought about taking them off then Frankie did it for me :P

It worried me that the gap between the intake tube and tank wall seemed just about the right size for a turtle head to get stuck (believe me, Frankie tried!). She still likes going in behind it for some reason, but at least now I don't have to worry about her getting stuck.

Also, I discovered something really nifty about the strainer itself when I cleaned it last week! The strainer actually comes apart in the middle! I had no idea! :oops: I was like "HEY! Look what I did! ^_^"
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:13 am   

imderanged wrote:I just recently got an FX5 too. Today I changed some media. It was easier than changing the media in the little zoomed 501 I was using!!! (except for turning those valves to detach the tubes...I had to have my hubby do that. Maybe there's a trick? Or its just stiff 'cause it's new...) So far I'm really loving the FX5.


You're talking about the valves that connect the tube to the filter, right?
I found they were very stiff the first couple of times, but they're a bit better now. Actually, the first time I tried turning them, it felt like they were attached! I thought I might have a faulty valve or something :P
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 74 guests