Page 1 of 2
best place to get river rock?

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 1:26 am
by imderanged
I think the topic says it all...I need large tumbled river rocks, preferably a warm color. Everything I've seen in the petstores is too small or comes in a rediculously small package. Where's a good place to look?

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 1:51 am
by RunninWideOpen
Yeah, pet stores typically have small rocks.
I found the big ones at a garden nursery, and even at the Dollar Tree in the crafts section.
The Dollar Tree ones come in a small package, but they're cheap. I think I bought 20 of them , lol.

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 2:06 am
by imderanged
oohh cool...thats the kinda thing I wouldn't have thought of without help...the dollar store! I will definatly have to check there.THANX!


Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 9:00 am
by TheComputerGremlin
You can also check craft stores or the craft section at Walmart.

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 am
by Tenodera
I get mine from rivers. o.o
Boiled and disinfected, of course.

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 11:37 am
by Vtolds
^me too, me and my gf took a little walk down a river grabbing what ever we could find. Gave them a good wash and we were good to go.

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 2:38 pm
by imderanged

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 3:27 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
They look good sized. Any ones that might be turtle-head sized or smaller, just keep those out of the tank. I used the smaller ones on my basking area when I made it ...

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 3:36 pm
by jenaero
I get mine for $1 a bag at the dollar store

Posted:
Mon May 12, 2008 6:25 pm
by crackerlady2007
It still makes me laugh to think of BUYING rocks! LOL! I grew up and live in the Rocky Mountains, so the purchase of rocks NEVER even entered my head! Haha!


Posted:
Tue May 13, 2008 1:24 pm
by imderanged
Thank you. I went to Walmart last night and found 5 lb bags of BIG river rocks at about 4 dollars each. I bought 6. I'm not sure if its enough, but its all they had! I want alot because I will be burying airlines in it. So I will probably be back there when they restock. I got them over by candles and stuff, they don't look dirty, but they are sorta shiny, i was thinkng maybe i should soak them in a dilute vinagar solution or something, just to make sure there's nothing on them?

Posted:
Tue May 13, 2008 5:34 pm
by RunninWideOpen
some people boil their rocks in water/bleach or vinegar. i've never done it.
besides the looks of the tank, it isn't really advantageous to cover the hole bottom of the aquarium with rock. it actually hurts the water quality. turtles are very dirty creatures for an aquarium, and the rocks trap a lot of waste and debris.
I noticed a big difference in the water quality when I took out my rocks. I only have a few in there now, for the turtles to push around and play with.

Posted:
Tue May 13, 2008 6:43 pm
by marisa
It would be good to at least rinse them off. I've let them sit in a vinegar/water solution for a while and then rinsed them repeatedly.
I have to ask---you said you'd be burying airlines in the rocks? Are you recreating scenes from Lost?


Posted:
Tue May 13, 2008 10:31 pm
by imderanged
lol, ok...airators?

Posted:
Wed May 14, 2008 12:07 am
by Reel Girl
If you have a Michael's, Joann's or AC Moore in your area - check there in the floral section - that is where I just got a small bag of river rocks for Sheldon's tank - - plus they usually have weekly 40% coupons, so you can get a really good deal!