Page 1 of 1

Messy Filter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:57 pm
by erwynn
Right now I'm working on building an egg crate basking platform for my turtle, and I'm trying to build up some sort of enclosure to sit around the tank top. But one of the problems I'm having is that I'm using a hang on tank filter. It's a penguin biowheel type, I don't exactly remember the name... But when the water comes out it splashes everywhere! It's driving me nuts. I have to put a storage lid over it to keep it from going everywhere, but I don't want to have to do this. I wouldn't care normally, but we have small children and I don't want turtle water splashing out on them since they like to look at him. I have it filled all the way to the rim almost and it's still sputtering water everywhere. I'm planning on getting a better filter, like a canister one, when our tax return comes in, but until then I need to keep it from splashing everywhere. Any thoughts? Advice?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:42 pm
by VanishingReality
Has it always splashed water everywhere?

It sounds like something is either not in the right place that it should be or that you need to replace your filter cartridge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:45 am
by steve
Marisa and I have had success "modifying" Aquaclear hanging filters. She extended the lip where the water flows out and I used a flap (made of acrylic) that makes the water splash downward.

Hopefully it could apply to your problem: http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1405

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:08 pm
by erwynn
I just changed the filter, and I know it's put together right. I'll try the flap idea, I think it'll work out great.