Page 1 of 1

BaskingSpot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:02 pm
by zdub20
Well, I've mentioned in another post that I had to separate
my turts because of constant aggression. So I bought another
tank and I've been trying for a couple of days to build a basking
spot using materials I have in my apartment.

I tried to make a box out of 3 layers of presentation board
and photography tape that woulda sat over the 2 tanks.

Image

Image

But as you can see, the tape didn't hold up.

I was too frustrated to take a picture of when I first had it all built.
But, before the box collapsed I was also having trouble building
stable ramps which woulda connected to one ceramic tile, for both
turtles to climb onto. Thats why in an earlier post i asked about
super glue. --sigh--

Anyway here's what I ended up with, and now my question is,
do you think the lighting will suffice for both turtles to bask?
(After I get my 2nd floating dock of course.)


Image


Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:09 pm
by BullDog
One light over the two docks might be O.K. if the docks are both on the sides of the tank that are touching.

I'm wondering about that purple light though. Is that a black light? There are some special coloured lights that can actually harm a turt's eyesight. I would recommend replacing it with a regular incandescent bulb.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:23 pm
by steve
Good to hear you've separated them! I'm a bit concerned about the board supporting the lamps. The photo tape isn't very strong either so I would reconsider how you have it set up. I see you have braced between the tank, but I would think you can find stronger alternatives.

Black UV lights are also a big no. I think your ideas are on the right track, good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:56 pm
by zdub20
BullDog wrote:One light over the two docks might be O.K. if the docks are both on the sides of the tank that are touching.

I'm wondering about that purple light though. Is that a black light? There are some special coloured lights that can actually harm a turt's eyesight. I would recommend replacing it with a regular incandescent bulb.



Really? I haven't heard that up until this point. Anyone have a second
opinion about the black light? As far as the stability of the back board,
I have them pushed back against the wall with the 2 tanks, and scotch
taped to the tank from both sides. I've been monitoring it and seems to
be ok, but, this setup is most definitely temporary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:22 pm
by steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:19 pm
by zdub20
Thanks much BullDog & Steve. Its good
to know these things after a whole year. :)