Page 1 of 1

Basking temps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:23 pm
by DebbieJean
Hi I'm a new turtle mom. I'm worried that my baby pastel's basking spot might be too hot it is 91.6 right now but it keeps going up to 95. I don't have a stand for the basking light yet so the basking light is sitting ontop of the screen. I wont have the basking light stand until probably Saturday. Is the 95 temp for the basking area safe? The highest temp the water has reached is 77.9 is that ok for a baby turtle?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm
by camaudio
i would think if the turtle got to hot, he would jump in the water
my basking spot sits about 86-91 with the water about 76, and the turtle just goes back and fourth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:05 pm
by DebbieJean
Thanks, I was just worried cause I read that they can pass out. The baby just arrived at my house today, but is very active still shy though. I want to take good care of her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:13 pm
by megcornell
I'm not sure if pastel's are more sensitive to light due to their pigmentation or not.
We have a member on here who has one and an albino, so hopefully he'll weigh in.

If it were me, I'd check to see if the turtle is basking, and if it's eyes show any signs of irritation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:27 am
by DebbieJean
She's not basking yet but she's still getting used to it here. She went near the basking area but doesn't want on it yet, I put her on it but she wasn't interested. Her eyes are very clear, but I will look again when the basking light comes on this morning. I'm hoping she will eat and bask today.