Page 1 of 1
How do you know if the turtles are getting along?

Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:02 pm
by TurtleGirl08
Okay, My question is... Is it normal for the turtles to use there paws and tap each other?? Every once and a while my turtles will take there paws and tap each other in the face and them swim away... Are the just playing with each other or are the fighting


Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:08 pm
by yomama
I guess theyre just playing.
because if they fight the other one usually fights back.
and also its claws not paws xD

Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:31 pm
by octpusgirl8
That's a sign of agression usually. How big are your turtles and how big is your tank?

Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
How old are your turtles and are the mixed gender? This could be a sign of courting, if it's gentle. If they are all the same gender, it's possibly a starting sign of aggression.

Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:08 am
by KeithBT
You should mostly have about 10 gallons for every inch of your turtles shells so they arent agressive but even then they still can, if they are mixed gender then it could be both agression or the males trying to get the attention of the female, u might haft to consiter seperating them because it can also conclude to fighting and in some situations seriouse injuries may occure like a loss of a lim (leg)

Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:16 am
by eugenetimpog
it is a mating ritual but it can also be a sign of aggression. Even if the male is just trying to mate with the female. If the female constantly in that situation... this would make the female's life miserable. Imagine that :O
About a month ago, my biggest male started doing this with his tank mates, with the female and the other male. I did what i have to do. I separated them before things could go out of hand. I have read too many post regarding injuries caused by aggression. They could loose an eye, tail, limb or even break a bone... errr I don't want that to happen.

Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:42 am
by TurtleGirl08
Thanks for ther answers guys.. I really dont think its aggression because they only do it every once in awhile and then they swim away, I think it a thing like "hey, your in my way". They dont get mean with each other, They have been together for along time.
I am not sure how big they are... For now my tank is 30 gallons.

Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 am
by Tenodera
Keep an eye on them, for turtles can get into fights so serious they may end up killing each other.
Turtles can have lived with each other for 5-10 years and have nothing happen, just occasionally fluttering. But suddenly, one day, the other one gets it's arm ripped off, or other nasty injuries. It's been reported. A lot.

Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:34 pm
by octpusgirl8
30 gallons is awfully small for 2 turtles, it would really only be big enough for one 3 inch turtle. You might want to look into getting a bigger tank, or the behavior could quickly escalate into something nasty.

Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:44 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
Yeah, you shouldn't push off the behavior as okay. Turtles can be fine together, and then one day, one could kill the other. And I doubt you'd want that. I'd try a bigger tank and maybe that will help, maybe it won't.