Page 1 of 1
Waterland turtle tub

Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:11 pm
by ratfink
A friend of mine has a Waterland turtle tub for sale, its the small one. should i get it? should i save up for a 55 gallon? my res in now in a 30 gallon.

Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:29 pm
by erinemcgreevy
Do you know how many gallons it is?

Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:39 pm
by ratfink
not sure, its 55"x24"x12"hight I've look at them on the web. they really dont tell you how much water they hold. It seems to be more of a pond set up.

Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:25 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
According to the tank calculator (
http://www.redearslider.com/calculator.html), it should be a 69 gallon tank ...
You should probably weigh the cost for the tub versus the cost of the 55 gallon tank, and definitely get a good look at the tub before buying it to see if it looks like it will hold enough gallons and figure out if it's what you want!

Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:35 pm
by octpusgirl8
When trying to figure out how much water it holds you have to remember that 1/3-1/4 of the space is taken up by the land area. If the whole thing would hold about 70 gallons then i would think that the water area would hold maybe 50 gallons. I've looked at those tubs before, they're kinda nice, but a little pricey for what they are. Also, remember that attaching thins like heaters and filters to a non-traditional tank can take a little creativity. I don't think the tub would be a bad thing at all if the price is right, but if it's close to what the tank would cost i'd go for the tank, personally.

Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:32 pm
by steve
Not sure how much you can get it for but the retail prices are very high (overpriced) for these tubs. I think the one you are looking at would only hold 12 gallons of water... so I would skip it.

Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 pm
by ratfink
they guy selling it wants $100 or $150 with a Fluval external filter. Im not sure which model though. I think i'm gonna get a tank instead. I enjoy henry swimming towards me when i walk by. plus i found a 55 gallon for $40. Any suggestions on a filter for a tank that size?
whats everyones feelings towards silk plants in that tank? yay or nay?

Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:40 pm
by megcornell
That's a GREAT price on a 55 gallon.
Once you get to that size, canister filters are a great option.
Fake plants are fine, but I find the plastic ones are much easier to clean than the silk ones- you can simply wipe the plastic ones down. Plus if you buy silk ones, make sure they don't have wires in them that could get rusty.

Posted:
Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:19 am
by grey goose
I'd get an XP3.