Page 1 of 1
Tank size question. Help Please

Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:14 am
by ilcapo21
Ok so i have a question. I have been thinking a lot about upgrading my tank as my turtles have been growing. I havent been in the forums lately so i will give you guys a refresher. I have a RES and a Yellow Bellied Slider. The YBS is a little bit smaller than the RES but they both have about a 2 1/2 to 3 inch carapace. Im ready to buy a big tank, i learned the hard way its good to buy big right off the bat so im hoping this is the last tank i will have to buy. I believe these to turtles of mine are males. What do you guys recommend the size of the tank be for these two guys full grown? I was thinking 120. Is this sufficient, or do I need bigger?
Any feedback is appreciated. THanks.
Danny

Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:51 am
by Vivi
well i think think that 120 is too small for two fully grown males. and since they are males they might start to fight with each other. i would suggest maybe two whole separate enclosures. thats only my opinion though. i play it safe.
but for now i think that 120g tank will be big enough for them. i guess during the time they are growing you will see if there is any behavior problems and if they are then you are going to have to separate them.
ohh and you wont be able to tell if they are males or females until they get to be 4in long (not including the curve. maybe some pics would help??

Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:08 am
by ilcapo21
i moved out into an apartment and space is limited my setup is at my parents house i go there and take care of them, i havent taken pictures in a while. All the pictures i currently have on my computer are of them as hatchlings, i will go there this weekend and take new pictures and then post them, thanks for the feedback though.


Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 am
by mikee
Ilca21 – If I am reading this post correctly, a 120 gallon should do it. Just bear in mind when these guys get to 6 inches each that will change. It sounds like you know what you are doing, but please bear in mind that the filter pump should exchange your water at least 5 times per hour. That is 700 gallons per hour minimum.

Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:12 pm
by ilcapo21
Thanks Mikee, But i am confused on something, "Just bear in mind when these guys get to 6 inches each and that will change." What do you mean here. Is that saying i will need to get a bigger tank when they are both 6 inches?

Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:25 pm
by erinemcgreevy
The recommended tank size is 10g of tank per inch of turtle, so two 6in turtles require 120g tank.

Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:31 pm
by megcornell
I think the big issue will be whether your turtles continue to get along.
Two turtles having total access to 120 gallons sounds fine to me, but if you have to divide the tank up, then you have two 9-12 inch turtles each with 60 gallons which is a squeeze.
But, go for the 120, worst case it's a lifetime tank for at least one of your turtles.

Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:36 pm
by ilcapo21
if i do have to split them up i will just get them both their own 90 or 100 gallon. or worst case give one to my cousin n keep the other. Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.


Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 pm
by SpotsMama
At 2 1/2 and 3 inches long, you can't be sure yet whether you've got males or females. If it turns out that one or both are female, then they'll get bigger. A full grown female is a lot of turtle - 10" or 12" long. You'll know for sure what you've got when they get to be around 4" long.

Posted:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:11 pm
by ilcapo21
Thank you spotsmama, maybe they are a little bigger than i thought, i get the impression they are both males because the front claw seem like they have begun to elongate. Thanks for the input though.
Danny

Posted:
Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:45 pm
by scripta_elegans
I debated the same thing ilcapo. I did end up getting the 120 thinking that if one of my turtles did turn out to be female, it would be enough space for her, and if they were both female, it would still be enough space for one and I could worry about upsizing later. If it was 1 girl and 1 boy, as it turned out to be, they can both be in the 120 until they either out grow it, or harass each other too much. I have a 75 gallon for him waiting in the basement, in case I need to seperate them anytime soon. I have 2 XP3 filters running in the 120 now, but if I seperate them, one will go with the 75 gallon, and as Sparky is 4 inches long, it will last him for awhile.
The other option was to get a 240 gallon tank, which would be enough room fo both forever. The problem I thought, was that they might not get along forever, and then I would have to buy a second aquarium anyway.

Posted:
Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 pm
by ilcapo21
well it turns out i may be getting a 150 gallon tank, so i know the bigger the better. if they are both male and they get along i am assuming 150 gallons will be suitable for them two. If i have preblems i will address them later. After i get the tank i just need to get filtration, does anyone know if salt water filters will work with fresh water?