Page 1 of 1
Next tank

Posted:
Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:15 pm
by GThiele93
I have a 10 gal. with 2 hatchlings under 1.5 in. Im thinking of upgrading. When? how many gallons? how much money and so on?

Posted:
Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:27 pm
by emma
Probably get the biggest tank you can. When you upgrade tanks, you have to upgrade filters, heaters, and add more things to your tank.

Posted:
Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 pm
by scripta_elegans
i'd go at least 120 gallons for the next upgrade. I have my 2 hooligans in a 120 now, and i think it's going to last them for a few years.

Posted:
Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:36 pm
by GThiele93
scripta_elegans wrote:i'd go at least 120 gallons for the next upgrade. I have my 2 hooligans in a 120 now, and i think it's going to last them for a few years.
thats rather big i think i will aim for 50 to 75

Posted:
Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:46 am
by shannon_nicole
I went to a 65 gallon for my 2 lil turtles.
This cost me... 200 on craigslist for the tank, stand, canopy, and a brand new, never used canister filter for a 100 gallon tank. And a bunch of air pumps and water testing equipment and a bunch of other crap that the lady was going to throw away.
I got a good deal though... you never know what you will find used from people wanting to get rid of it.
Then I had to buy a heater, which was like 20 bucks. and I bought.. a new uvb bulb, which was also like 20 bucks. And I bought them a bag of big river rocks to put in the bottom, which was like 15.
And the filter media for the filter...
And the background and turtle log and a bunch of other unnecessary crap.
All together I spent like 300 to 350 (I'm not really sure exactly) getting my 65 gallon set up.
Also keep in mind that when you do upgrade you can always just sell your old tank on craigslist or whatever to offset the cost of your new setup. And you can use the canister filter on a bigger tank, you might just have to get an additional canister filter. So if you don't have the cash and/or space to set up a huge 100+ gallon tank at the moment, you're not hurting yourself too bad by going smaller for the time being.

Posted:
Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:56 am
by untsmurf
That sounds like a good deal. Just remember, that within a year you'll probably need at least an 80 gallon. That's why you buy as big as you can afford.

Posted:
Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:27 pm
by jenaero
GT, I took it upon myself to remove a word from your post. Please refrain from such language in the future

Posted:
Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 pm
by shannon_nicole
umm my turtles aren't growing.
I've had them for over 4 months and they still are like 1.5 in.
So I don't think I'll be needing to upgrade that soon.
But when they do actually grow to some reasonable size and I upgrade this will be the last time. I want a 150 or 180 gallon. There is NO way I'd go from a 65 to an 80... that would be ridiculous. Because then what 2 weeks later I'm needing a new tank AGAIN? lol.

Posted:
Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:47 pm
by missibsu
I have two turts who started for a short time in a ten gallon tank. Then I learned my lesson and moved them to my 30 gallon tank. It was a temp. hold until I could find something bigger. I found my current 75 gallon tank listed in the pets section of the paper for I think 250. It came with the heater, filter, lights, hood, etc. It has lasted me over a year. It's basically holding me until I get moved into my own house and can find the final set up that I want. I'm still debating between building my own indoor pond, or just buying the tank and being done with it. Whatever I decide, it will be a final decision, I don't want any extra added costs added by another upgrade.

Posted:
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm
by scripta_elegans
I have gone from 20 gallons to 120 in about a year. I had a 75 gallon between, but the 120 was less expensive from glasscages.com.

Posted:
Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:08 pm
by N4784N R4613
I went straight from a 29 long, to a 240 gallon from
www.glasscages.com . I will never have to upgrade again! And in the long run, I saved a boat load of cash!!!
