Page 1 of 1

MVB question

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:07 pm
by Pito007
I have a 30gallon tank, with an above tank basking area. the basking area is 12 inshes by 14 inches. I know that MVB isnt recommended for tanks under 50 gallons, but I was wondering will the MVB overheat my water if its only focused on the basking area? :?


Image
Image
also how would the light spread if i hang it like 15 inches above the basking area? I was thinking to hang it above using a zoomed reptile lamp stand. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:10 pm
by N4784N R4613
I think it would be fine, as long as you keep everything so open(no tank lid, or basking roof). Also, as long as it is aim mostly at the basking spot, it shouldn't heat the water at all. You may have to go back farther then 15 in., these bulbs get HOT!! Make sure your lamp is rated high enough for a MVB. Check the tamps on the dock after you set-up the MVB. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:59 pm
by Pito007
what would be a reasonable distance to keep the lamp from the dock?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:01 pm
by Starchick
I think the packaging will have a recommended distance, there's a chart floating around online which is NOT accurate, it says 6 inches for a 100 watt flood, which is totally wrong. I think what I've heard is about 18 inches for the 100 watt. I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and several people agreed that with the above tank basking area there shouldn't be a problem with the water. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:35 pm
by SpotsMama
The packaging should give you the minimum safe distance to hang your bulb. Then, you may need to move it still further away if it's overheating the basking area. Be sure and take the temp on the basking area and keep moving it further away and closer until you get it just where you (and your turtle) want it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:39 pm
by Pito007
Is there anything i should worry about with MVB? If it breaks am I going to get mercury poisouning

any other information on MVB will be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:28 pm
by marisa
The new energy-saving compact flourescent bulbs that people are being encouraged to buy have a small amount of mercury in them as well. If they should break, I've read that to be safe, windows in the room should be opened for ventilation and the pieces should not just be swept up. As much of the bulb as possible should be put into a double plastic bag and that should be closed up. The bulb should not be disposed of in the regular trash, but should be disposed of at a place meant to handle this type of bulb.

I read that after a spent MVB bulb I had in the basement did break. I opened no windows and yes, I did sweep up the pieces. I did, however, triple bag the broken bulb and took it, along with another dead MVB, to hazardous waste to be disposed of. I'm still here :D and for the one bulb I think the amount of mercury I was exposed to was minimal (still not good, though).

Handle the bulb carefully and don't let any water get splashed on it. For a 100-watt MVB, the general mfgr's distance is 12 inches from the basking turtle. If, however, you're going to hang it over the basking area in the pic above, I'd check and double-check the temp. The sides are going to contain some of the heat, which will push up the temp.

There is a limit on how high you can raise the lampstand safely. I'm using one with a stock tank that's on a pallet on the floor and the little amount of added height made adjusting the temp more difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:59 pm
by DavidY
Good point! Remember to bring your old flourescent, compact flourescent and mercury vapor bulbs to your local hazardous waste disposal/recycling facility. Never throw them in the trash! That also goes for all those rechargeable batteries and cordless devices out there. :o