Page 1 of 1

Little Turtle Showing off Her Basking Platform

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:16 am
by mybrosteve
I made my 2 adult turtles a new basking dock a while back and with all the talk of basking docks these days I figured I'd put some pictures of it up. It was supposed to be a temporary thing till I made one out of wood or something, but it's held up surprisingly well.

*Click on the pictures for a larger version*

The platform is made of plexiglass and I covered it with that reptile safe turf.
Image

Little Turtle getting up!
Image

I don't get photo ops with Little Turtle very often, so I had to take full advantage of this!
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:27 am
by untsmurf
Looks like a happy camper to me :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:46 pm
by turboturtle8
Awww she is so cute!I bet she loves her new basking area

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:13 pm
by emma
WOW, that is a great basking area! Wish I could do something like that!
Your turtle is so cutE!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:22 pm
by Starchick
Wow nice shots!

How thick is the plexiglass you used? Are the lamps clamped directly to it? That concerns me a little, you'll have to watch it carefully to make sure the sides aren't bowing or anything, the last thing you want is a lamp dropping in the water with your turtle. Other than that it looks great though!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 pm
by mybrosteve
Starchick wrote:Wow nice shots!

How thick is the plexiglass you used? Are the lamps clamped directly to it? That concerns me a little, you'll have to watch it carefully to make sure the sides aren't bowing or anything, the last thing you want is a lamp dropping in the water with your turtle. Other than that it looks great though!


I don't know exactly how thick it is, but i do keep a close eye on it, its right in the living room so its rarely out of sight. This was only supposed to be temporary, and when and if it does start to come apart im going to build another one out of either wood or much thicker plexiglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:45 pm
by scripta_elegans
Aww she is very cute. She also looks like she's on to you in the last pciture.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:56 pm
by taylormaid
What is the green material on the platform?

When I made my above tank basking area, I modified a large plastic ramp, but my turts are so freaking big now & they are outgrowing the ramp & are to big for any other ramp I have seen in a store or online.

I need to make a new one, but am stuck as to what I should use to give them traction? Yours looks great :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 am
by industrial_girl_2000
Looks great!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:26 pm
by turtlefreak
That sure is one happy turtle! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:26 pm
by grey goose
Even the thick (.220) plexi will sag a little, as long as you have enough support underneath it'll be ok....Looks like Little Turtle approves! :)