Page 1 of 2

Turtle habbitat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:06 pm
by emma
I currently have 3 baby RES. I really want to give them the best life. I was wondering if it would be OK when they are older to keep them in bin like things. I can't afford the 75 gallon tanks that they sell at pet stores for 600 or so bucks. The bin thing would be bigger than ones that you put your storage in. WAY BIGGER. At least 100 gallons or more for a turtle. Do you think that this would be OK??? :) Thank you so much for all of your answers!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:14 pm
by Tenodera
do you mean a rubbermaid? Sure, some of the members on here use rubbermaids to house their turtles. They'll guide you to the benefits and hazards on rubbermaid housing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:48 pm
by DavidY
Yea the rubbermaid tubs are a great choice for housing RES and they're much cheaper than aquariums. For babies you can use a 50 gallon tub and when they get older you can get a couple of 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks from a Grain & Feed store or agricultural supply store.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:02 pm
by emma
does anyone know a place to get a rubbermaid?? Also, do you know how much they cost?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:05 pm
by Caelestis
$7-20? And 75 gallon tanks do not cost $600!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:08 pm
by DavidY
You can get the regular storage tubs (up to 50 gallons I think) at any department store like Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. The stock tanks are a little more difficult to find. Try looking up in your Yellow Pages phone book under farming supplies, tractors, livestock or agricultural and then call around and see if any of those stores near you carry them or can order one for you. I think someone on here mentioned they got a 100gal stock tank for around $90. I don't think you can get them online because they are so big and the shipping would probably be very expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:12 pm
by Bumby's Mom
When I was in the Home Depot I seen a 55 gallon rubbermaid with really thick plastic, way better than the rubbermaid tubs you get in the WalMarts etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:05 am
by Safdar
Rubbermaid containers are popular for their price, alot of people use them, but some are weak and cant hold the water. Try and get the clear ones, they usually are stonger than the colored ones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:06 am
by untsmurf
You can also build a supportive structure for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:12 am
by camee1991
You can also try looking on Craigslist or your local paper for someone selling a large tank. I have found a couple listings in my areas for 55 gal. for 50-100 bucks with the support cabinet and some other xtras included also! Good Luck on your search!

They will love you for anything BIG no matter what it is! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:33 pm
by Safdar
Crap you just missed the petco sale, it ended yesterday. try craigslist as said above

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:11 pm
by SpotsMama
I got a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub from Lowes for around $17. However, it's not clear. I use it for dry docking Spot because I can put the lid on it which keeps the dog and cats out and it has air holes under the handles. I don't know how it would do with water - it seems pretty sturdy to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:14 pm
by urbancleopatra
Tractor Supply is a farming store chain that sells stock tanks for very reasonable prices. I currently have my two in a 50 gallon round rubbermaid container and it's working out beautifully. The best part is if it breaks I'm only out about 10 bucks. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:39 pm
by SpotsMama
...and a wet carpet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:40 pm
by heather k
hey emma i already told you that they would be fine in there! but if you are going to have them inside you might have to keep them in your basement or something because they will be really big!