Page 1 of 1
Will plants reduce toxins/ammonia levels?

Posted:
Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:33 pm
by cooleststan
I have a live plant in my tank, will it reduce the toxin levels? Im not sure what type of plant it is, I just bought a the "plant combo" at petco
thanks

Posted:
Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:58 pm
by adam85491
You really shouldn't just buy some random plants-their are poisenous ones.

Posted:
Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:02 pm
by DavidY
If it's an aquatic plant that's sold at a pet store I don't think there's much danger in it being poisonous, but then again, you never know with pet stores.

Anyway, most aquatic plants should be safe for a RES. And they should help in removing toxins and nutrients, but turtles are notorious for eating any plant you put in their tank so it would also consume any toxins that the plant removed too. Using activated carbon in your filter is the best way to keep your water clean and remove any toxins.
Is there something specific that your worried about?

Posted:
Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:14 pm
by marisa
Depending on the plant and its size, I'm wondering how much it would really help with just one in the tank (and how long would it last if your turtle decides to start nibbling on it). Plants with good root systems are better for that purpose.

Posted:
Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:12 pm
by cooleststan
well, I am a bit worreid about the poop, because they poop alot, although I do scoop out the poop once I see it.
Also, inthe plant combo, there are two types of plants that the turles do not touch, they ate all of the other plant. SO I guess it is good that they aren't eating the other two types, Im going to keep them in there until they almost die, so they can absorb the toxins

Posted:
Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:31 pm
by cooleststan
if anyone wants to know, white ribbon is one of theplatns I got, and the turtles do not eat it at all. THey nipped at it right when I put it in, but they will not eat it.
So anyone who wants to put a plant in theri tank for looks or just to help remove toxins, white ribbon is a good one.

Posted:
Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:06 pm
by Starchick
I got an anacharis for Napoleon that ended up getting split between him and my fishtank, and in with the fish it's growing like crazy and doing an insanely good job of keeping my water clean. Along with my algae eater and the legions of snails that presumably rode in on the anacharis, my fish tank rarely needs cleaning other than occasional water changes. The peice that I put in with Napoleon didn't last, he tore it to shreds and it took weeks before I got all of the bits out, what a mess. They love the stuff but don't expect it to last.