Habitat - Indoor :: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:27 am   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

No, I think the coarse sand is a little too coarse, find some pool filter sand. It is only 5 cents a pound and already clean.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Location: Port Washington, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Sounds like a photo laden project! lol
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:41 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Operation sand started...
First, the brackets that hold her doc went 'kerplunk' the other day, so I ditched them altogether.
I went to Home depot, and since I'm lazy and hate cutting pipe, I bought sprinkler risers. They come in 6", 8", 12", 18", and 24" pieces (threaded on both ends) - plus they are dark grey. Cost? a whopping 0.87 for the 8 inch, and 1.21 for the 24 inch -SOLD!
Then I bought some PVC side outlets (one threaded opening and two smooth). Since I don't care about running water through them, I didn't care about a water tight seal, I just connected them with Gorilla glue epoxy and voila! a PVC stand!
The threaded openings make it possible to take it apart and put it together under water (didn't have to fight taking off the canopy).
On to the sand.
Washing it was kind of fun - felt like a kid in the sand box. It seemed to take forever, but I think I got pretty good. So I put in 100lbs. It looks OK, but there are still bare areas.
I have another 100lbs in my trunk. I was debating putting it all in at once so that I only have to go through the cloudiness and settling one time, but the World Series will be on soon. Ergo, I will add the other 100 pounds next weekend.

I think I did things a little backwards - I cleaned the tank and the filters and then put in the sand - only to realize that I'll have to lug the filters out again once all the sand settles and the water clears - oh well.

Oh! Penelope actually wandered around the living room while some of this was going on :mrgreen: ; now she is asleep under the TV stand. It's warm and her tank is still settling, so I'll leave her there awhile longer. I'm not sure how clear the water has to be before putting her back in, but the longer I wait the better (I guess).

Oops - she just poked her head out from under the TV. Maybe she wants to watch baseball with me. I just hope she doesn't talk during the whole game - :P

I'll post pics later
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

lol Penelope sounds like an awesome turtle. Sounds like the tank is coming along too. ;)
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:49 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

So here is the simple, yet sturdy, platform holder. It doesn't float; it doesn't hog up tank space and I actually kind of like it.
I'm still sticking with those mosaics.
So here are a few pics of how it is put together - do yourself a favor- unlike me - take the price tags off before it goes in the water. It saves ripping them off later (I just wasn't thinking).
You can also see the first batch of sand. It cleared up within a couple hours.
008.JPG
006.JPG
011.JPG
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

The gal
Attachments
IMAG0888.jpg
IMAG0890.jpg
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:06 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Oooohhhhh looking sexy! Wow she has some claws. Sheldon would rip me to shreds with those. lol
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:25 am   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Oh trust me, she has done her share of hand ripping! Her front claws aren't so bad; it's the rear ones. They are like razors (ouch!) - she usually only starts clawing those babies when she is headed somewhere that she doesn't want to be - like the "vet box" or iodine soaks. I swear she knows!
She can't catch me with the front ones. But after a bout with "grumpy turtle", I spend a week slapping Neosporin on my hand.
Most typically, her rebellion is trying to see how far she can extend her neck to bite me. It's amazing how long those little necks are!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:05 am   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Oh they know. Sheldon can smell the "vet box" coming a mile away. lol

Sheldon has tried to bite but he caught a mouth full of kitchen glove and he doesn't do that to me anymore. Although he does try to get the vet. :D Yes it is very amazing. Especially when they are motivated. lol
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 am   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Looks very good! What's the top of the platform?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:09 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

It's the same mosaics (the 12 x 12 connected with webbing) adhered to two 12 x12 glass tank dividers. The spacing between mosaics lets the water run off and the glass makes it heavy enough to just lie it on top unadhered. If it was Plexiglass I would probably have to secure it, but it's not so lucky me!
In other words, same platform; umpteenth stand.
I think I finally got a keeper!
Found some tricks for the sand, but I will add that to the sand thread.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:34 am   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Cool! Glad it worked out. :)
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

dang, I thought my 250gal tank with stand for $400 was a good deal! I dont even know what a 400gallon tank would look like in a side by side comparison of them. It would dwarf mine I'm sure.
jason2713
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Nov 5, 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:09 pm   Re: Penelope's New 500 gallon Tank ***the pics begin**

Very impressive! Congratulations, large tanks are a maintenance breeze after the initial setup.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 113 guests