Habitat - Indoor :: 200 gallon

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:20 am   

DnD- I'm using 1/2 inch thick glass with a single 26 inch long center brace.

Marcus- I'm using mexican beach pebbles as my substrate.

untsmurf - That's one thing I'm worried about. My turtles love to dig up and move everything in the tank. They're extremely strong so I'm afraid they'd manage to bury themselves and get stuck under one of these. Normally I wouldn't worry but the wood is pretty heavy.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:14 pm   

drillr00 wrote:DnD- I'm using 1/2 inch thick glass with a single 26 inch long center brace.


Very nice thanks for the quick response. I have a couple other questions about it. Are you reusing the top and bottom framing or did you make your own? Also how is the brace in there on top of the panels or inside the tank using silicone I am assuming?
0.0.1 Red Ear Slider
0.0.1 Columbian Black & White
3.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.1.0 Red Tail Boa
1.1.3 Normal Ball Python
1.0.0 75% het albino Ball Python
Ton of Guppies
0.0.1 Kio
0.0.3 Gold Fish
0.0.2 Plecostomus
1.0.0 Dog (NEW)
Oh and 0.1.0 Wife LOL
User avatar
DnDReptiles
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 pm   

I did not reuse the bottom or top framing. I actually prefer that because now the weight of the tank is distributed over the entire bottom rather the sides. There is also a sheet of 1/2 inch Styrofoam that the tank sits on.

I left the bottom frame off but made a new frame for the top. The cabinet has trim that extends up so it covers part of the aquarium bottom.

The brace is siliconed inside the aquarium.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:45 pm   

you better watch out or people are going to start custom ordering from you, lol
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:26 pm   

thanks for all your help ill post mine up when i start working on it. I love your setup ill be doing something similar soon
0.0.1 Red Ear Slider
0.0.1 Columbian Black & White
3.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.1.0 Red Tail Boa
1.1.3 Normal Ball Python
1.0.0 75% het albino Ball Python
Ton of Guppies
0.0.1 Kio
0.0.3 Gold Fish
0.0.2 Plecostomus
1.0.0 Dog (NEW)
Oh and 0.1.0 Wife LOL
User avatar
DnDReptiles
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:47 pm   

Smurf - haha I don't mind helping anyone out if you're close. If I were to do it again though...I probably would have waited and bought a nice setup. It would have been cheaper and faster. I definitely don't regret doing it and am extremely glad I did.

My 3 turtles are about 7 inches long so if they get much bigger I think I'd actually like a wider tank. I can't believe I'm saying this but I've seen some pretty good deals on used 300+ gallon tanks that are pretty wide. It'd probably tempt me more to buying it if I had the money and didn't just do this project. :lol: Maybe at that point, I'd be able to give them an outside pond like they deserve.

Dnd- definitely do it. You won't regret it once you see your turtles swimming all over the place :)
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:37 am   

drillr00 wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this but I've seen some pretty good deals on used 300+ gallon tanks that are pretty wide.

Dnd- definitely do it. You won't regret it once you see your turtles swimming all over the place :)


Will do! Where are you finding these good deals on tanks at? the only thing i afraid of is if i get to big my floor wont support it at that point im going to have to brace the floor which wont be a fun project
0.0.1 Red Ear Slider
0.0.1 Columbian Black & White
3.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.1.0 Red Tail Boa
1.1.3 Normal Ball Python
1.0.0 75% het albino Ball Python
Ton of Guppies
0.0.1 Kio
0.0.3 Gold Fish
0.0.2 Plecostomus
1.0.0 Dog (NEW)
Oh and 0.1.0 Wife LOL
User avatar
DnDReptiles
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 pm   

Monsterfishkeepers.com

You'll have to just keep an eye out in the classified section but they're always selling large tanks.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 pm   

drillr00 wrote:Monsterfishkeepers.com

You'll have to just keep an eye out in the classified section but they're always selling large tanks.


lol ok thanks i cant believe i didnt look there before it just never crossed my mind
0.0.1 Red Ear Slider
0.0.1 Columbian Black & White
3.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.1.0 Red Tail Boa
1.1.3 Normal Ball Python
1.0.0 75% het albino Ball Python
Ton of Guppies
0.0.1 Kio
0.0.3 Gold Fish
0.0.2 Plecostomus
1.0.0 Dog (NEW)
Oh and 0.1.0 Wife LOL
User avatar
DnDReptiles
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:03 pm   

Wait a second did you take the tank apart or throw it away? I'm confused on what just happen. Looks like you just made one from scratch; I wish I had the tools and garage to build stuff like that.
User avatar
Rollen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Jun 7, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:32 am   

Rollen - I bought the aquarium with a cracked bottom so I dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled with a new bottom.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:11 pm   Re: 200 gallon

Wow!! awesome tank i wish i could buy something that big for my turtle but Im to poor haha i just bought mine a 40 gallon which Im going to be posting about after i get started on it.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 129 guests