Habitat - Indoor :: Basking Area Complete Turtles not Basking! UPDATE PAGE 3

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:39 am   

I still would recommend lighting as the only heat source, and the lighting alone will provide them with underbelly heat in there basking area. I just hated seeing people bring there herps in with burns because they knew we would take care of the problem without making them fork up the cash for vet bills.

And with UTH's you always run the risk of a malfunction, no matter the brand. And with that risk you could cause your herp it's life even if you do check them daily. Please don't take my words as "I am right and you are wrong", I just don't like herps at risk over malfunctions since I've seen the consequences.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
User avatar
JimmyJam
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Location: Martinez, CA, US

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:16 am   

That new basking area is GORGEOUS! Love how you set your tank up!
If I were a turt - I would bask there! :)
Reel Girl
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Apr 6, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA - USA

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:17 pm   

I check my snake and turtles twice a day once in the morning before i leave for at about 6:30 am. turn the lights on check the temps feed the fish in the tank and feed the turtles every 2 to 3 days. And when I come home in the evening I give them a once over- temps, lighting, and get the low down from my wife. if they tried to bask at all during the day with the new basking top! so far not yet. my wife hasn't seen them up there at all during the day. she use to see them bask on the zoo med turtle docs every day. time will tell .
Last edited by madmax1 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:18 pm   

Reel Girl wrote:That new basking area is GORGEOUS! Love how you set your tank up!
If I were a turt - I would bask there! :)


THANK YOU and so would I!! :lol:
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:53 pm   

untsmurf wrote:
JimmyJam wrote:Well people used them as they should, but some people forgot to check the herps, or someone tampered with the temp on them. There were also cases of defected heaters. But as I said some people argue the point and I hate arguing haha, But if you do go heat lamp only, and want higher humidity... Move the water bowl under the closer to the heat lamp.


Oh okay, that makes sense. Outside of malfunctioning or improper use, I've never heard of any injuries. I wasn't trying to argue, just worried because I use them :lol:

I'm sorry, but if you don't check your animals at least daily, you're asking for trouble. I never understand why people get animals that they can't care for.


It all starts when people who by reptiles on impulse, without doing there research on husbandry, for the reptiles they are getting involved with. That is what happened to me. I purchased a turtle in chinatown for my daughter and son. which is what the average person does. or an impulse buy from petco or pet-smart when there purchasing other supplies for there dogs and cats. they get a care sheet and very little help from employees. AS for me I HAD TO LEARN THE HARD WAY! I did some research on line and found Turtle Talk. which is when I started to take care of the little guy the proper way and then I was hooked. now 4 exotic RES LATER and a small fortune I am a lifer :shock: . So yes when s--t happens like that not watching there products that they purchase if they are always in proper working condition and having Thermostats that shut off the power when overheating occurs , not willing to spend the extra money that gets involved with herp keeping for the proper care these are the problems EDUCATION! Not enough people get involved in forums like this and get educated. and when some do most will give up on there reptiles seeing what is truly Involved. MY Reptiles are work but I love it. Just like all of you on this site. That is where the difference LIES.! :wink:
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:58 am   

madmax1 wrote:It all starts when people who by reptiles on impulse, without doing there research on husbandry, for the reptiles they are getting involved with. That is what happened to me. I purchased a turtle in chinatown for my daughter and son. which is what the average person does. or an impulse buy from petco or pet-smart when there purchasing other supplies for there dogs and cats. they get a care sheet and very little help from employees. AS for me I HAD TO LEARN THE HARD WAY! I did some research on line and found Turtle Talk. which is when I started to take care of the little guy the proper way and then I was hooked. now 4 exotic RES LATER and a small fortune I am a lifer :shock: . So yes when s--t happens like that not watching there products that they purchase if they are always in proper working condition and having Thermostats that shut off the power when overheating occurs , not willing to spend the extra money that gets involved with herp keeping for the proper care these are the problems EDUCATION! Not enough people get involved in forums like this and get educated. and when some do most will give up on there reptiles seeing what is truly Involved. MY Reptiles are work but I love it. Just like all of you on this site. That is where the difference LIES.! :wink:


I couldn't have said it better myself. This is the one issue that bothers me more than anything. My husband and I have agreed that once we both finish school and we're settled in to our final jobs that we are going to do something about it. whether it's open our own shop, or tour schools or what, I don't know yet. But I'm sick and tired of animals dying or getting injured and the only defense the owner can use is ignorance. Ignorance is not an excuse for stupidity and irresponsibility.

I'm getting myself all fired up, so I better stop :lol: But I agree with you 200%.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:27 am   

Lol. That's great
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:20 pm   

Gorgeous basking area!
I'm ....umm....envious :)

How big's that tank? Is that the 300G you spoke of?

And your cornsnake is so very pretty!!
I keep wanting a snake, as I'd fallen for my friend's albino ball, but I unfortunately also like rodents such as mice/rats, so I'm not able to take that step yet...

Both setups are gorgeous!
Me - V
Owned by:
RES - George
APBTs - Cyrus & Jasper & Haplo & foster Penny
Cats - Miou & Dharla & Quincy & Cotton & Boo
Rabbits - Fletch & Riley
Ferret - Luna
Hedgie - Gizmo
Budgie - Sky & Cricket
Callie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 6, 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:20 pm   

Callie wrote:
Gorgeous basking area!
I'm ...umm...envious

How big's that tank? Is that the 300G you spoke of?

And your cornsnake is so very pretty-!!
I keep wanting a snake, as I'd fallen for my friend's albino ball, but I unfortunately also like rodents such as mice/rats, so I'm not able to take that step yet...

Both setups are gorgeous!



That is my 180 gal with the basking area, and my other tank is 100 gal, I have my pastel in the 100 gal tank because she is very aggressive, I tried to keep her with my other turtles and with a very watchful eye, sure enough she would attack my other turtles really bad I had to get a stick and keep her restrained to the side of the tank to keep her from biting the crap out of the other 3 so I can grab her to get her out. I am not even exaggerating, she would literally attack, It totally shocked the hell out of me, never did that ever happen before. I use to keep her with charley my large RES and never really had a problem till i seen her getting a little aggressive, so i decided to put her in the 100 gal by her self,it's been about 3 months . Since I finished the basking area my albino wasn't really eating , because of her new surroundings. So I put my albino in the 100 gal by herself so she would be able to take her time to find the food and eat before the other turtles would get all the food. albinos tend to have poor eyesight! no joke! thats when all hell broke loose. the pastel went nuts. so now the pastel has the 100 gal all to herself. now I might need another tank for my albino. because taking them out of there tanks to feed them is a real pain in the ARSE! Try to catch a 4" turtle in 180 gal tank with a basking area on top! shitt! flies everywhere especially with the basking platform for them to hide under, so out of tank feeding, out of the question. There is some food for thought before u build a 6 foot by 2 foot basking AREA! Now I may need a third tank for my albino At this rate I might open a reptile shop. anyone have any interest in the n.y. n.j. area . TO BE CONTINUED.!


As for snakes If it wasn't for my son wanting one at the REPTILE show I might have never gotten one, For I always had a slight fear of snakes especially after watching "SNAKES ON A PLANE" so I figured my son can handle him with out a problem at the show, I will give it a try and to my surprise it was really cool. Now I seen some BALL PYTHONS that where there that would blow your mind and really caught my interest some with a $2500.00 price tag. Even a couple in the $12,000.00 price range That where proven breeders. crazy ha!! Anyway I decided to get a $65.00 cornsnake for the 1st one, and see what there all about. And of coarse now i am hooked "DAM THIS REPTILE HOBBY" -- AS for the mice-- F/T (FROZEN THAWED) isn't so bad and more humane then live. I hear some snakes will only take live prey - but my corn was feeding on F/T when I purchased HER!-- Must ask before u purchase if eating F/T . and when last ate very important.

just an Idea--about the ball python proven breeder snakes- when I am ready to breed and open my reptile shop maybe http://theurbanpython.com/availability_ball.html
_________________
Last edited by madmax1 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:42 pm   STILL NOT BASKING

It's been 9 days my turtles only make it up the ramp 1/2 way, take a look around, and dive back in the tank. I put tank background on 3/4 of the front plexiglas to make them feel more secure. we will see what happens. FRUSTRATING! :roll:
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:16 am   

How high is the water level? Perhaps if it was a shorter distance to the basking area they might be able to feel the warmth better as well.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:11 pm   

steve wrote:How high is the water level? Perhaps if it was a shorter distance to the basking area they might be able to feel the warmth better as well.


I have the tank filled as high as it can go. it is to the top --180 gal tank I have 181 gallons in there :lol: . the basking are is got to be about 2 1/2 to 3 " from the warter I might have to reconfigure the basking area to try to get it closer to the water. give them another week or 2 :roll:
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:16 pm   

Keep it up! They'll figure it out eventually :lol:
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:13 pm   Back To Old Basking Doc

Ok so it has been 2 weeks and turtles don't have any interest in the new basking platform, so I went back to the zoo med basking doc's. And instant basking Amazing! So small investment in above basking area not worth it at the moment but it still looks good :shock: I did not want to go longer than 2 weeks with out them basking. will try again at a later date, but this time i will try some large cork bark instead of the plexiglas basking area I can actually get a nice size piece to sit in the water to keep them close to water they feel more secure basking that way I guess. I think that was the problem they were to far from the water the way i had the plexiglas set up on the basking top. unless I just had to wait longer don't know and I could not take them not basking and drying off and risking them getting shell problems, not worth it! HERE THEY ARE RIGHT BACK TO BASKING!
Image

I put one on each side of tank,
Image
Image
1-Caramel RES--E.T.
1-Albino RES---Casper
1-Pastel RES---LiL Dude
1-Regular RES-Charlie
2-plecos
10-gold fish
1 amel motley cornsnake
1 snow corn
1 blue tongue skink
1 rosy boa
2-Brussels Griffons
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:27 pm   

The only thing I'd worry about is escape. you might try putting up some sort of screen that allows light through but keeps them in the tank. I'd hate for the little guys to fall and get lost/hurt.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests