Habitat - Indoor :: 200 gallon

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:19 pm   

It's getting there.... I'm powder coating a few metal grills that will go over the top, getting some more rocks, and looking into some tank backgrounds and other decorations.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:28 pm   

NICE u run 2 FX 5!!!!
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 28, 2009
Location: Oak Park, CA USA

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:42 pm   

WOW
savvy / nowornevercrew.com
ninja turtles - squirtle + biggie.
savage Rock
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Apr 9, 2010
Location: Surrey, BC CANADA

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:47 pm   

Looks amazing.
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 pm   

that is coming along nicely. The FX 5's should beable to do the job on the tank. I like the stained finish, good job! What lights are you going to run on the tank?
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
User avatar
slider_keeper
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mar 7, 2010
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:27 pm   

thats perfect. even my brother said it lol right after i did

but he said wood breaks down but you gotta use what you got. termites are your worst enemy. but that looks totally great
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 pm   

looks rly good
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:29 pm   

That's so awesome! You're really handy. Looking at the pictures totally made my <3 you. XD
RES: Turtley - about 9" (She makes it a mission to measure her. :/)
Musk: Bolt - 4.5"
Mutt: Gaviota - small
User avatar
jwinters
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Feb 18, 2010
Location: Southern California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:11 am   

I put some exterior polyurethane on top of the stain so I'm hoping that slows down any wood break down. It has a nice glassy feel to it...almost like a bar table.

As for the lights, I'm still trying to figure that out. I'll be going with the standard uva, uvb, heat light but I'm looking to add some more light since the tank is so long.

I'm having some metal gratings powder coated for the top so I may just end up throwing some fluorescent lights on top but I've also seen some really bright thin LED bars from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ that might look and function well...any suggestions?
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:43 am   

Looks great! Is the basking area on only one side of the tank? If so, I would go with a MVB.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:56 am   

Steve - the basking area is actually dead center. I covered the center brace to make into a basking area. It's hard to see but if you look through the original pictures of the tank you'll be able to see what I mean.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 pm   

You can still use a MVB if the basking area is in the center. You just need something to hang it off of in the middle of the tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 pm   

ah I see what you are saying. sorry I meant to say I'm looking for non uva/uvb/heat light suggestions to light up the rest of the tank.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:03 pm   

Wow that's beautiful!!You've done a miraculous job refinishing that tank.

As for lighting, I've seen some submersible LEDs that are pretty cool. You'd probably have to get about a half dozen of them to light the entire tank though.

Did you make an undergravel filter??? I've seen a custom made one that looks very similar to yours and supposedly it does a wonderful job of keeping the waste from getting trapped in the rocks.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:37 pm   

untsmurf - I made a pvc "output" flowing around the aquarium. The white egg crate is spaced 1 inch from the bottom of the aquarium and the pvc has many holes drilled angling down and horizontal to the floor. The two vertical corner PVC tubes also have holes drilled pushing water around the aquarium. I'm "hoping" that most of the waste will get pushed up from the rocks and can be sucked back up by the filter. I'm using relatively large beach rocks so I'm hoping that helps keep the waste from getting trapped easily.

As time goes, I'll see how well it works. I may end up using the regular nozzle that came with the filters if this fails.
drillr00
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
Location: Bakersfield

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests