Habitat - Indoor :: I think i need help... but cant be sure

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:57 pm   

i would go with heavy mechanical filter media. Some finer media after that and then bio bio bio media. If your tank starts to smell you can add some carbon to take away the odors. But you need to run the filter to get it cucling which means getting the beneficial bacteria to colonize. this bacteria removes amonia and nitrites from the water and many other contaminates. That can take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. Its important not to wash the bio media with tap water and never Clean the inside surfaces of your filter during cycling. You shouldnt really touch or attempt to clean your bio media during this time. You can clean and change the mechanical media if you feel it is necessary but it shouldnt really clog up too much during yhis time. Many people claim they have to change the sponges nd other mechanical filters every week but that is usually omly a result of over feeding/sloppy feeding. Feed your turts one pellet at a time so they dont miss any pellets or make a big mess.
2 1/2 inch RES Mikey
55 gallon tank
Homebuilt sump filter at around 300 gph
3 African Chiclids in a separate tank.
User avatar
grem89
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:33 am   

just mechanical and bio. its the great combine, buy water tester kit (90$) thats can see the PH, calcium, ammonia, etc.
jameshermanto
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Mar 2, 2009
Location: Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:25 pm   

I am also fairly new to this site but I've had fish aquariums for years as well as ponds and I would recommend a combination of chemical/carbon filtration over a sponge filter. Sponge filters are fine for very small tanks, 10 gallons or less, that house one or two fish. I wouldn't use one for a hatchling turtle. For larger tanks, especially with turtles, you need the combination filter in order to ensure healthy water for the inhabitants. There is a great sticky on building your own filter. I built filters for my pond and they work great. Having said that, check out all areas of this website. This place has given me more information than any book I've bought on turtles.
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Nov 4, 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 76 guests