Habitat - Indoor :: If your cannister filter had / has four baskets how would...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 pm   

Remember that chemical media like carbon needs to be replaced, it will not be effective when reused.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:27 pm   

i use polyester pillow fill and about 15 pot scrubbers for biomedia. effective and cheapppppp.
2 1/2 inch RES Mikey
55 gallon tank
Homebuilt sump filter at around 300 gph
3 African Chiclids in a separate tank.
User avatar
grem89
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:12 am   

grem89 wrote:i use polyester pillow fill and about 15 pot scrubbers for biomedia. effective and cheapppppp.
Intersting, hows that work out for ya ?
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:24 am   

I use pot scrubbers in the canister on my 30gal cichlid tank.. Works well. Cheap and effective bio media. Not as good as Biomax/Ehfisubstrat/etc but it sure does the job.

In my 404, I busted out a lot of biomedia.. 2 stuffed trays of Biomax, and the rest is microfiltration media. I can't remember what I have going on in one of the baskets... I should remember next time I open it up.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:30 am   

Ok, dumb question but by definition what is Bio Media ?

The meadia used to catch all the poop n gunk ?
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:03 am   

No. That is the foam/prefilter/etc job. Biomedia should be one of the last stages of filtration so that the cleanest gunk free water gets to it.

By definition, it is the media that harbors biological bacteria in the filtration system. The porous nature of the ceramic or sintered glass media gives the biological bacteria places to take hold.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 pm   

@morebloodwine
The polyester works great. I got two big pillows from kmart for only 4 $. Im only using about 3/4 of one of the pillows which is still alot. But the water in my tank is crystal clear. You cant see any particles floating around. You just have to be sure to put some sort of mesh underneath it so that the water flow doesnt pull any loose fibers into the impeller.

It is sooo cheap and works amazing. Its pretty much the same stuff as those water polishing pads but about 1/50 the price. And since I use so much in my sump I dont have to go all fancy and use different sized filter pads. I would definitely recommend this stuff. Someone should try it out in their canister and tell us how it goes. Just remember what I said about putting some mesh clothe down underneath of it. You could even cut up a pair of old mesh shorts. When it comes to filtering get creative and you can save big bucks
2 1/2 inch RES Mikey
55 gallon tank
Homebuilt sump filter at around 300 gph
3 African Chiclids in a separate tank.
User avatar
grem89
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:06 pm   

MoreBloodWine wrote:Ok, dumb question but by definition what is Bio Media ?

The meadia used to catch all the poop n gunk ?


Haven't you been reading my posts. :arrow: :evil: :twisted:
Last edited by Rubicon on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:08 pm   

Chrisbarnett wrote:No. That is the foam/prefilter/etc job. Biomedia should be one of the last stages of filtration so that the cleanest gunk free water gets to it.

By definition, it is the media that harbors biological bacteria in the filtration system. The porous nature of the ceramic or sintered glass media gives the biological bacteria places to take hold.

Thx for that...

grem89 wrote:@morebloodwine
The polyester works great. I got two big pillows from kmart for only 4 $. Im only using about 3/4 of one of the pillows which is still alot. But the water in my tank is crystal clear. You cant see any particles floating around. You just have to be sure to put some sort of mesh underneath it so that the water flow doesnt pull any loose fibers into the impeller.

It is sooo cheap and works amazing. Its pretty much the same stuff as those water polishing pads but about 1/50 the price. And since I use so much in my sump I dont have to go all fancy and use different sized filter pads. I would definitely recommend this stuff. Someone should try it out in their canister and tell us how it goes. Just remember what I said about putting some mesh clothe down underneath of it. You could even cut up a pair of old mesh shorts. When it comes to filtering get creative and you can save big bucks

When I get all set up with Niko's permanent home I might give that a shot just to check it out... it owld make it easy compared to that of finding just the right sized pad for ones specific filter.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm   

I'm going to use the pillow padding fiber in my 404. Probably the next time I open it up ill stuff some in there to fill in my mircofiltration basket.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:39 pm   

i use the pillow fill in my xp3, works better than the rena pad and i also have an extra pillow. i use a big finch sock for it so it doesn't get wrapped up with anything.
cb
CB
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Jun 5, 2008

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests